Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Leftover Chicken?


Sunday we made a really good parmesan chicken, which I'll post about later. However, there were several pieces left-over. Normally this wouldn't be a "problem." However, my parents, as mentioned earlier , are moving next week. So, I was trying to decide how I could use that chicken. I decided to offer to make chicken chili for my parents, who are returning from closing on the house tonight. This recipe can be made with fresh or left-over chicken. It turned out great and uses up that extra chicken you may have. For a complete meal, serve with cornbread and a green salad.

Chicken Chili
1.5 lbs (or 1.5-2 cups) chicken breast, cut into cubes
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 can chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon cilantro leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 can white kidney beans, undrained
2 green onions

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onions; cook 4-5 minutes.
Stir in broth, green chiles, and spices; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with onions. Garnish with a white cheese, if desired. Makes 4 cups.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Claire, that looks so good. I would make that. Only one thing; I am suprised you don't drain the beans. Are'nt the beans in a thick salty liquid? I tried using undrained cannelini beans once for a escarole and bean recipe and it was too salty.

Unknown said...

Annie - Now that you mention it, this is a tad salty. So, I think if you rinsed the beans it would not harm the dish, only let the herb mixture stand out more! Let me know if you try it this way and how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

We saved this one to the favorites! Ashley saw the pic and said we need to try that one!