Monday, July 31, 2006

Blueberry Pie...A Little Late





Well, it may not really be blueberry season anymore, but I have to give this wonderful blueberry pie recipe It is my grandfather's recipe. This is a dessert we have every summer Papa always had a garden and grew his own blueberries. So, when we had blueberry pie at his house, we KNEW it would be delicious. Thankfully, my mom had him tell her his recipe and she wrote it down So, now we have it to enjoy for ourselves.

One Saturday, when my parents were out of town, I went to Landrum's (the vegetable stand I mentioned earlier) to get some veggies and found som BEAUTIFUL blueberries for only $1.59/pint (that's cheap here). When Granny invited us for lunch on her birthday, we said we would bring cake; we then added blueberry pie to the mix! It turned out GREAT! In the past, the filling has been a little runny, so this time I decided to decrease the sugar a little bit What a good decision. The texture was perfect and the blueberries were sweet on their own merit!

One other recipe I practiced was my homemade pie crust.. I haven't quite mastered it and need to get it under my belt. My mom is expert at this, so I always make sure she thinks it looks good. What I find hardest is rolling it out without making it too thin or getting it in a good circle (that's really heard to do). What I've found that helps is putting the dough in a disc shape BEFORE rolling it out. Then roll a couple of strokes in multiple directions to makintain the disc shape. This works quite well. I need two of these crusts for my blueberry pie.

Pie Crust
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 T water
1/3 cup shortening
Sift flour and salt into bowl. Remove 1/4 cup flour and blend to a paste. Cut shortening into remaining flour until pieces are size of small peas. Add paste to flour mixture. Mix with fork until dough comes together and can be shaped into a ball (this is best done by putting a piece of saran wrap over the bowl, dumping it, and pressing the dough together.) Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Roll out crust to 1/8 inch thick to cover 9-inch pie pan Makes 1 crust Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes (If not baking with a filling, poke crust with a fork or place dried beans in the dough).

Blueberry Pie
1 quart (4 cups) or a little more blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 T flour
2 T corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix dry ingredients. Fold in berries to coat. Place in deep dish pie crust. Dot with butter Seal with second crust and cut vent holes with knife Fold crusts together on edges. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes and at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream.
This is my ARF entry for ARF Tuesday at Sweetnicks. Check out the other great foods and be good to your body!

4 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

That looks fantastic. I made another blueberry recipe for ARF/5-a-Day too. I wish I had gotten around to making a pie this year.

Unknown said...

Paula - I wish I had been able to make more pies with blueberries as sweet as these were as well!

Lizabeth - Thanks! My mom and I split the duties (for some reason she REALLY likes making crusts!) I rolled them both and made the bottom one, but she put together the top one. Since she's moved out of state, I'm going to have to make my own crusts from now on!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!