Monday, July 03, 2006

Breakfast Cookies...Hmmm

These cookies were the final in a series of three requests of my Dad from my cookie cookbook. It kind of surprised me because of the presence of apples, carrots, raisins, and coconut. But, hey, such healthy ingredients, I'm all for it!

These didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked; however, that may be due to the fact that I only had margarine and it called for shortening. I usually don't use shortening, but want to do these recipes, at least the first time I make them, by the recipe. The cookies ended up VERY soft, crumbly, and almost sticky. I'm pretty sure that the moisture from the carrots and apple had a lot to do with that, but I think the margarine also added to it. Anyone confirm my thoughts or have any other ideas? I think these would be really good with more of the apple and a crunchier texture. Also, I didn't used to be a coconut fan, but I think I really like it!

Breakfast Cookies
1 cup butter flavor shortening (I used margarine, as that was all I had)
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 3/4 cups quick oats, uncooked (I used Old Fashioned)
1 1/2 cups raisins (I used less, but it could use more)
1 medium Granny Smith apple, finely grated, including juice (I did this in the Oscar)
1/2 cup finely grated carrot (Once again, Oscar is my best friend)
1/4 cup flake coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine shortening, peanut butter, and sugars in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended. Beat in eggs.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed. Beat until blended. Stir in oats, raisins, apple, carrot, and coconut. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet (or baking stone).

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until just browned around edges. Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes on sheet. Remove cookies to foil to cool completely. (I cooled on a cooling rack. Could this be a reason they were so crumbly and soft?)

These can be frozen between sheets of waxed paper in a sealed container and pulled out as needed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These tasted really good. I liked the mixture of flavors...carrots?? Didn't realize it had those? Like Claire said, they ended up being really soft, and kind of stuck together when stored. Yeah, shortening might fix that problem. Try it again, BY THE RECIPE :)

ThursdayNext said...

These sound delicious, and I prefer small bites with my morning coffee. Would adding a few nuts help get the texture a little more crunchy? Maybe adding a few more nuts in addition to the pb?

Unknown said...

Daddy - Like I said, I didn't have enough shortening! Guess I could have used some. I wanted to do these BY THE RECIPE but didn't have enough of the right stuff!
:-)

Amy - More nuts would probably be REALLY good in these cookies!

Annie said...

I tend to substitute ingredients when I don't have enough of something or if I'm trying to lower the fat. I've tried making lower fat cookies by using applesauce in place of the fat and the result was soft and kind of sticky as well. Oh well, I guess cookies are so good because of the fat. Why is life so unfair? =)