Sunday, March 09, 2014

What We Said - One Year Ago

 "Marriage is not something that just happened. It was God who created man and woman in His own image. And it was God who determined that it was not good for the man to be alone.  So, God made him a helper who was fit for him.  The man was incomplete without the woman. She joined him in being the ultimate earthly expression of the glory of God.  So, as you pledge your vows to each other, you do well to again remember the source of marriage is not just a feeling in your heart--it lies with God and His design for you.  You also do well to remember the purpose of marriage.  It is about you certainly, but it is about much more -- it is about God and Christ and the mystery of God's love for sinners.  What God joins together, let no man forsake as unimportant or insignificant.  Marriage is not a phase of your life, it is to be your life.  Protect it and cultivate it as if your life depends on it...because it does."

"I, David Gilliam, take you Claire Nettles, to be my wife as we enter into the covenant of marriage.  To have and to hold, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, in laughter and in sorrow, for as long as we both shall live.  I vow to protect you, to provide for you, and to care for you.  I promise to honor you as the Lord instructed and to cherish you as Christ showed us, even unto death.  I pledge to join you in prayer and lead you as we begin our walk with God."
"I, Claire Nettles, take you David Gilliam, to be my husband as we enter into the covenant of marriage.  To have and to hold, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, in laughter and in sorrow, for as long as we both shall live.  I promise to seek God first and to pray for you, as the leader of our home.  I will strive to respect and honor you in my words and actions, to be full of grace, and gentle in spirit.  I will encourage you and commit to stand by you for as long as we live."
"I take you...and with this ring I pledge my life to you. Where you go, I will go.  Where you live, I will live.  Your family shall be my family and your God shall be my God."
One year ago, I said "I do" to my sweet husband as we began this journey called marriage.  Has this past year been easy?  Sometimes.  Other times, not so much!  Have we had to work at times? Yep!  Has it been fun?  You bet!  Do we have lots to learn?  Of course.  But I am so glad to spend these years with David and our little family.  I am so thankful for his kindness and service toward me.  He has sought God's leadership so much over this past year and I am grateful for that and what it means for David's leadership of our family.  He has demonstrated patience to me and gentleness too many times to count.  I pray that God continues to grant us grace and grow us in Him and with each other!

No comments: