We have had such fun cooking through the alphabet as K learns new letters at school. We started on letter "C" and have done most other letters so far. I think the only ones we've skipped have been "F" (because K was gone), "I" (because it was Italian ice...not really great for October!), and "K" (this week...because it was kabobs and it just didn't fit our menu). Way back on "E" week we did the recipes for "D" and "E."
*adult steps for both recipes
Delicious Deviled Eggs
1 T mayo
2 T mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place eggs in large pot and cover with water. Boil for 12 minutes. Then remove the eggs and refrigerate until they are cold.*
2. Peel the eggs. (not listed as an adult step but depending on the age of the child...this could be difficult)
3. Cut eggs in half and remove the yolk.* Put yolks in small bowl and lace the egg whites on a platter.
4. Add mayo, mustard, and salt to bowl with yolks and mix together with a fork.
5. Using a small spoon, fill the hollows of the egg whites with the yolk mixture.
Elegant Elephant Ears
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 T cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 425.
1. In bowl, pour flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix with a fork.
2. Mix 1/4 cup of melted butter with milk and pour into flour. Knead with your hands to form a ball of dough. (This could be started with a spoon to make less messy)
3. In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon.
4. Sprinkle counter with flour, sprinkle rolling pin with flour. Place dough on flour surface and roll into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick (good step for adult help)
7. Cut the roll into 1/2 inch slices.*
8. Place each slice on baking stone or sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
9. Place sheet in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. *
10. Remove and allow to cool. *