Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Candy Corn Cookies

Another pinterest find was the recipe for these CUTE cookies!  Now, I love candy corn.  David thinks I'm crazy but K likes it, too.  So, when I saw these cookies I knew I wanted to try them.
Well, I signed up to take cookies and cake to our Fall Harvest Carnival at church.  Unfortunately it was rained out.  The Kate stayed there for the Senior Adults' luncheon but I brought these cookies back to share with the residents at work.  I thought they were really good and SUPER cute!  Such fun for fall.  I could have probably eaten them ALL!

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies adapted from High Heels and Grills

Cookies:
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 and 1/2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose flour is fine)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Orange and yellow food coloring
Frosting:

4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
A pinch of salt

FOR THE COOKIES: Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and combine well. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until completely blended. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until well combined. 

Separate the dough into two equal parts and color one half of the parts orange and the other part yellow.  Press the yellow batter into the greased baking dish and spread out to the edges with your hands. {I use water on my hands to help with the stickiness. Also, it may seem like it's not going to cover the bottom of the pan, but don't worry, it will.}  Spread the orange batter over the yellow batter evenly.  After it's all spread out and ready to go, bake it for 17-20 minutes, or until edges become lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely.

FOR THE FROSTING: In a medium bowl, cream powdered sugar, butter and milk until light and fluffy.  Stir in vanilla and salt and combine well.  Frost your cooled cookie bars evenly. Cut into triangles and ENJOY!

No comments: