Sunday, September 27, 2009

NICU is Daring Enough

Yes, it is Daring Bakers' (check the blogroll here!) post day and I have not post. I think that it is fair to say that this month, the NICU is daring enough for me! The challenge this month was a lovely, buttery puffed pastry...that I used to LOVE when I was little. Well, I've never actually had it homemade but one of my favorite dished was a chicken dip that my mom served in these very pastries...the American version, straight from the freezer...they were delicious! And to top it off...it's QUICK AND EASY...and obviously kid friendly! I have recreated this recipe with a few changes...adding some broccoli and decreasing the delicious creamy stuff. I must say that the regular version IS better but the slimmed down version is still quite yummy! I'll give you both here. And if you're daring enough you can make some of these delicious pastries and try out chicken dip for yourself!

Chicken Dip (the original)
1 8oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat is what my mom uses), softened
1 can cream of mushroom soup (98% fat free)
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 cup milk

Stir ingredients together and microwave at 50% for 6 minutes. Stir and then on high for 3-4 minutes. Serve in puffed pastry "baskets."

Slimmed down version - okay...I don't remember what I did because it's been so long, but I know I used a bag of broccoli and less cream cheese and soup...probably half, enough to coat the chicken and broccoli (the other version is very creamy). Then I topped it with some fiber one and baked in the oven at 350 until bubbly.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Yum, this dip sounds so yummy!!

Dharm said...

This dip looks great! Thanks for stopping by and keep up the good work at the NICU!!

The JR said...

Hope all is going well at the NICU. Your dip looks very good.

Ramona

Abby said...

Keep it up! Those babies need you.

I've used Fiber One in baking, but I've never thought to use it as a savory topping! Genius.

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Thanks for the recipe--it looks delicious! I hope work is going well for you.

Peabody said...

Puff pastry is a pain in the butt...you didn't miss much. ;)

911shazza said...

Sounds tasty. Very neat that you work in the NICU. My son was born at 28 weeks with hydrops and I will forever be grateful to the doctors and nurses who cared for him. What you do is amazing. Those babies are lucky to have you!!