Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Snickerdoodle Cake

I have come to the conclusion that snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies. So, whenever I see something with the name "snickerdoodle" in it, I want to make it. Like snickerdoodle muffins. Or how about snickerdoodle blondies. Or snickerdoodle pound cake from Julie at Dozen Flours? Well, that's what I decided to make this week for a meeting where M was talking about a mission trip to Nicaragua. It was for a group of women, so I knew that this lightly flavored cake would be perfect. I did have one little snag while I was making it (on my pre-call day knowing that I would not have time to make it post-call)...I CANNOT FIND MY BUNDT PAN! I'm so sad...somehow, in my move, it has been misplaced and I still haven't found it. Thankfully, I have a glass tube pan from Granny. It is a bit smaller than your typical bundt pan, so, the cake came close to overflowing, but it still worked. I did have to change one thing in the recipe because I didn't have any sour cream; so, I substituted buttermilk in equal portions. I think it worked, though sour cream probably would have made for a slightly moister cake. One of the cool things about this cake is the crust that the cinnamon sugar leaves on the top of the cake...LOVE IT! I also love the layers left by the cinnamon mixing with the batter. Beautiful! So, how did it go over at the meeting? I was worried that I would come home with lots of leftover cake...well, I came home with ONE piece! I'd say the ladies liked it. So, try this delicious cake...it's perfect for a tea, Sunday dessert, or just beacause. And stay tuned, because I have another different snickerdoodle recipe to try out sometime. Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup white sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup full-fat sour cream, at room temperature (I used 1 cup buttermilk)

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix together really well and set aside. Preheat oven to 325F (oops...I did it at 350).

Spray a 9 inch Bundt pan with cookiing spray, being careful to cover all the nooks and cranies, as well as the center tube. Gently dust the entire inside of the pan with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Beat just the butter on medium speed for one full minute. Add the white sugar and mix for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and blade and add the brown sugar.

Mix for 2 minutes until the mixture looks light brown and uniform in color. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each for 1 full minute. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream; beat well. (I just added all the flour at once AFTER adding the buttermilk...partly because I just didn't read this instruction. It still worked but might be more tender if you do it the correct way.)

Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture over top the cake. Spread the rest of the batter into the pan and sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over the top. (If you run out of cinnamon sugar, you can mix just 1/4 cup of sugar + 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together for the top of the cake. It should be more than enough.)

Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.

13 comments:

The JR said...

Sounds like your cake was a huge success. It sure looked good!
Ramona

Valerie said...

I've never heard of that before. I know a lot of people who would love it.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

YUM! Guess what I'm off to make for afternoon tea??? I'll let you know how it goes.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I'm back - I made it today and it was fab-u-lusssss! Afternoon tea guests were most impressed (as was the boy-child LOL). Thanks for sharing :)

April said...

I agree, anything with snickerdoodle in the name and I am sold! I will be making this cake very soon! Thanks for posting it!

Unknown said...

Ramona - I think it was! :-)

Valerie - I hadn't either but it was delicious.

RDM - YAY!!! I'm so glad it was a success. It's always fun to hear about how things turn out.

April - Sure! Hope you like it...I'm not going to hide successes from anyone.

Cate O'Malley said...

I'm with you - love Snickerdoodles and always on the search for "the" recipe. The cake looks great!

Jane said...

Oh Claire, this sounds great.
I'm just going to have to make it.
Sorry about your bundt pan. Hope you find it!

Sorry I haven't blog visited lately. I've been a little busy with...tomatoes. LOL
Hope everything is going well with you. :)

Peabody said...

Oh my yes! You know I love all things snickerdoodle. I can't wait to try this.

Abby said...

Only one piece left?! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Elle said...

Those snickerdoodle flavors sure do get aroudn! Your cake is lovely and would be perfect for Meeta's Monthly Mingle which is a tea party.

Katrina said...

Beware of the snickerdoodle ice cream at Recipe Girl's blog (a few months ago). If you don't have an ice cream maker, then you're safe! ;)
Great lookin' cake. My husband's favorite cookie is snickerdoodle, so I always jump at things with that in the title as well!

Sarah Caron said...

Yum. That sounds great. I love snickerdoodles and translating it as a cake - great idea!