Monday, October 05, 2009

Shrimpy is Often Good

I have now transitioned to a month on pediatric wards (basically, in-hospital team for kids). Last night I was on call...and our post-call list is three patients long. That is UNHEARD of...incredibly, well, shrimpy! I will take shrimpy. I'll also take shrimpy for a good lunch. I got an e-mail from Real Simple with this yummy looking taco recipe that I decided to transform into a salad. Initially it wasn't quite what I was expecting, but after sitting for a little while it got better. Probably would be better as the tacos, but I thought it was a refreshing change for a salad. The biggest problem was the cole slaw...it was just too tough for me and didn't really soak up the dressing very well. If you try this, maybe play around with the greens...the shrimp and citrus flavors were wonderful!

Shirmp and Citrus Salad
1/2 bag cole slaw
4 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons sour cream/Greek yogurt
salt and pepper
1 cup corn kernels, cut fresh from cob (about 2 ears)
1 can mandarin oranges
1 pound medium shrimp, thawed and grilled
sliced almonds (optional - I didn't use but just now thought it would be a yummy addition)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, whisk the orange and lime juices, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the cabbage and corn. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes. Overnight is better.
  2. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook on grill (I used George Forman...you could just saute in a skillet) Cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. When ready to serve, add oranges to slaw (almonds would make a good addition, too) and serve shrimp on top.

3 comments:

Abby said...

This salad is like taking shrimp with a squeeze of lemon to a new level! Interesting, and it would be great to make for just myself (since the husband is allergic to shellfish.)

Cate O'Malley said...

Interesting twist to take the taco filling and make it a salad - can't beat the flavor combo of shrimp and citrus!

The JR said...

Interesting looking. We love shrimp.

Ramona