Wednesday, January 01, 2014

New Year and New Recipe

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years with family.  We enjoyed time with both of our families and had Christmas morning with just our little family of three.  I'll share that later.  K is with family.  David is on service this week and hasn't been feeling well, so we didn't do anything last night. 
After clinic, I came home and we got an estimate on floors for the house (oh the joys of getting ready to sell).  Then I spent 4 plus hours putting away the Christmas decorations while David did notes from work.  I "watched" the MS State game while I worked.  Hail State!  Then we watch the Duke game.  I made macaroni and cheese for David and heated up my crab cake.  Yum!  Then I made a dessert for the residents who are on the New Years portion of holiday schedule.  I think we were in bed around 1130...but our lovely neighbors were shooting fire works.  Today, I've enjoyed "Gifted Hands" about Ben Carson.  I HIGHLY recommend it!  We'll see what the rest of the day bring. 
And now for your tasting pleasure, a recipe to start off the new year.  I made this back in October when my family came for homecoming and David wants me to bring it back.  It was actually in a Kroger coupon mailout.  It does call for 2 cups of tortilla chips but I'm pretty sure I used about 1 cup.  It is called Chilaquiles.  It calls for ground chicken but you could use ground pork, turkey, or even beef.  Everyone really enjoyed it and it was easy and quick to make.  Try it out for a new recipe this year.

Chicken Chilaquiles
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground chicken (or other ground meat) - or 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
2 cans diced tomatoes and chiles (10oz. cans, could use any brand)
15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups broken tortilla chips (I used LESS)
1 cup cheese
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped

Cook meat. Drain.  In heated pan, cook onions and garlic.  When softened and browned, add meat, tomatoes, beans and 1/4 cup water or broth.  Stir then reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.  Stir in the chips and cook for 5 minutes.  Add cheese and cook about another minute.  Sprinkle with cilantro and ENJOY!

No comments: