Saturday, January 04, 2014

Granola - Cooking by Letter

It's been a while since I've posted about our alphabet cooking.  At this point, K is through the letter N at school.  We haven't done that recipe yet and skipped "I" since it was Italian Ice - I didn't think that would be so good in October!  However, we have had such fun with everything so far. 
The recipe for "G" was granola.  My sweet girl, of course, wanted to share at school...she ALWAYS asks if we can take the recipe to school. 
Unfortunately, before she asked I had already added all the ingredient so it had pecans in it.  We actually texted her day care supervisor who said it would be better not to bring it.  Oh well!  She REALLY had a good time with this one.  I let her do lots of pouring and stirring.  I'm not really sure how much she ate of it but she really liked the cooking. 
It was a pretty good granola.  I would grab a handful at night when I got the munchies and David had it over ice cream with chocolate syrup.  You could also put it on some fruit or in yogurt.  YUM!

Gimmie More Granola
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
2 cups bran flakes
1/2 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350.
1. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and water until it dissolves.
2. Add the orange juice, syrup and salt.

3. In a LARGE bowl, mix together the oats, bran flakes and nuts
4. Pour the liquid into the large bowl and stir well.

5. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and pour the granola mixture into the pan.
6. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.  Stir the granola with a wooden spoon every 10 minutes.*

*Adult step

No comments: