Friday, October 21, 2011

Combining Two Recipes

I'm keeping a friend's two year old little girl tonight.  She was quite the talker and very active.  I don't think she stopped talking until suppertime.  D doesn't like "anything green" but I decided to make couscous, green beans, sausage balls (that D made and left here...yum!), and strawberries.  She ate some of everything.  YAY!  The question is, is there any way to get someone who doesn't like veggies to like them?  I mean, I do know that some people are seriously "strong tasters" and the strong, more bitter taste of veggies isn't pleasing.  Hmmmm...
However, all the guys in my SS class are salad eaters, so when we had a surprise party for Mrs. Vickie (SO much fun...she had NO clue!) I took several things.  Corn casserole, fruit salad, and a broccoli salad.  now, the broccoli salad I know is SO good but uses both a lot of sugar and mayo.  So, I went in search of another.  Found this one on Cate's site but it also uses a pretty good amount of mayo, but I liked that it actually had slaw in it.  So, I combined the two, decreased the mayo and added some yogurt.  SOOO good!


 Broccoli Slaw Salad
4-5 cups cabbage slaw
4 cups broccoli
1/2 cup (about 1/2) red onion
1/2 cup cut pecans
handful of cranberries
1/2 cup mayo with olive oil
1/2 cup yogurt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/3 cup splenda (or sugar)

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl with a sealing lid.  Whisk together the remaining ingredients.  Pour over salad.  Put the lid on the bowl and shake!  Refrigerate for at least one hour.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I was going over old blog posts and came across a few comments from you so I snuck over here to see what you've been doing. I'm so glad to see your blog is still active. You and I have both been doing this for quite some time, haven't we??

Nice to 'see' you again.

Kate (in the Kitchen)