Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back with Berries

I'm back for ARF! Last week, I got busy and just didn't get a post up in time...but this week, I return with a berry filled scone. After posting about the banana scones a couple of weeks ago, I went in search of a blueberry scone. What I came across was a recipe from Eating Well (I really think I may change subscriptions from Cooking Light to Eating Well...any thoughts on that?) that I adapted a bit to make it blueberry. They are not sweet scones, but the blueberries add the perfect amount of sweetness and tartness. To me, it was just so much fun to bite into a blueberry and have its flavor meld with the wholesome wheatiness of the scone. So, try these out...they're healthy and yummy! One of the things a favorite pediatric attending told me...if you tell your child such-and-such is a treat, he'll think it's a treat. SO, if you bring you child up on less sweet muffins/scones, he'll think that's how they should be rather that the sweeter version. Sweet or not, these are very good! Check out the other great recipes over at Cate's. Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones
4 tablespoons (2 oz.) reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat (regular) and 1/2 cup bread flour b/c I didn't have pastry flour)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blueberries
2/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a large baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray. Place cream cheese and butter in freezer to chill, about 10 minutes. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut cream cheese and butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or your fingers until it resembles coarse meal. Add blueberries and gently incorporate. Make a well in the flour mixture. Add 2/3 cup buttermilk, stirring with a fork until just combined.
Transfer half of dough to a well-floured surface and gently press into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. With a floured knife or pastry blender, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake scones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.

5 comments:

Erika W. said...

Claire, I find that I use Eating Well more than I use Cooking Light. If I had to pock just one- it would EW. While I adore Cooking Light, I don't cook out of it often, simply because the recipes tend to be too much for weekday cooking. With Eating Well, however, for the most part, they are all do-able for a weeknight. I have yet to have an EW recipe turn out bad for us. It IS more pricey, so that's a consideration, but the recipes are great, and I also love all the latest nutrition updates too.

Anonymous said...

Claire, I don't subscribe to either. Instead, I just trolls their websites. All the recipes are there. Eatingwell.com and MyRecipes.com. MyRecipes.com has recipes from CL, Southern Living, Health and several other magazines and has an advanced search function. It's great!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to vote for Eating Well also ... I subscribe to both and will be letting my Cooking Light subscription expire.

Did you know that Eating Well stopped publication for several years? I was so happy when they brought it back. :)

As for the scones, they look great! I love anything with berries, though.

Annie said...

The Scones look great. I almost made them too, but decided on Blueberry bars.

Eating Well sounds interesting. I had a subscription to CL, but let it run out. I'll have to try EW!

Unknown said...

Erika - The only thing that keeps me from doing EW is that it only comes 6 times yearly. However, I do think that it would be okay.

Digigirl - I use their sites as well, but I also like getting updates on the recipes that are available. Plus, it gives me something extra to distract myself with!

Alisha - Thanks for the vote. It appears that EW wins. I might just join you in letting CL lapse.

Annie - Check out their website. It gives some good recipes.