Saturday, December 23, 2006

Where is Thumbkin...

I have had this recipe tagged for a LONG time and decided to try it out for my Christmas tins...the last cookie of the bunch! It is an Emeril recipe. I enjoy watching him but have never tried his reipes. This one was pretty good, although I do wish that there was more lemon flavor. I know that part of the problem is that I didn't have any lemon zest to put in it. I guess that's the problem with lemon cookies..the lemon flavor usually cooks out. Overall, however, this was a very good cookie...had the perfect butter cookie texture with a slight chew from the jam.
Lemon Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
1/2 cup raspberry jam or jelly
1 tablespoon Chambord or kirsch (optional, I did not use)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I added an extra 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I used store bought and used more than 1 T)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets or use a baking stone.
In a small bowl, combine the jam and Chambord. Stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to blend.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in 2 additions and beat just until moist clumps form. Gather the dough together into a ball. (I didn't do this as the dough was too sticky to gather in a ball.)
Pinch off the dough to form 1-inch balls. Place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing 1-inch apart. Use your floured index finger or 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to create depressions in the center of each ball. Fill each indentation with nearly 1/2 teaspoon of the jam mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes (don't bake over this time or they will brown too much).
Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: