Monday, December 04, 2006

In honor of National Cookie Day



I didn't plan to do this post today but Anna at Cookie Madness alerted me (us) to the fact that today is National Cookie day. SO, in honor of the celebration here is a good, slightly healthier cookie recipe. It is from a summer edition of Cooking LIght. When I finally found dried blueberries I pulled it out and tried it. Let me say YUMMY! This was nice and light with the perfect tartness added by the blueberries but lacking the overwhelming (if you ask me) taste of chocolate. Once again, because blueberries are full of anioxidants (go ahead, eat them everyday!!!), this is my submission for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday. Stop by and check out the other recipes.

Triple Fruit Cookies
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened (I probably used margarine, don't remember)
1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
2 T fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups AP flour (6 3/4 oz)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice (I omitted)
1/4 cup dried blueberries *
1/4 cup dried cranberries*
1/4 cup dried cherries* (did not use, yuk!)
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream sugar and butter (about 3 minutes). Add corn syrup, orange juice, vanilla, and egg. Beat until well combined. Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Stir until just combined. Add fruit and coconut, stir gently. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pan for 1 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Yield: 4 dozen (serving size - 2 cookies)

Calories: 108, Fat 3.1 g, protein 1.2 g, carb 19g, fiber 0.7g, chol 16 mg, sodium 90 mg, calc 17 mg, iron 0.6 mg.

*I don't like cherries unless fresh, so I added more cranberries and blueberries. It could probably handle a little more coconut as well.

Coming up: Chicken Mexican Soup, oh so good on a cold night like tonight!

7 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

I love dried blueberries but have a hard time finding them and they seem to cost more than other dried fruits. They do taste good so I bet these are good ones. I happen to love cherries though so that wouldn't be a problem for me!

Anonymous said...

Looks, yummy. I knew it was cookie day and still put up soup...oh well.
I like the use of the three different types of fruit.

Emma said...

I've never tried dried blueberries before but I love dried cranberries. Will definitely try this recipe and maybe add more cocunut.

Vincent said...

Claire, I finally got a chance to REALLY look at your blog.. and I LOVE IT!! you are now my resource for new recipes. I am going to try to make the blueberry cobbler this week! YUMMY! I am going to put a lin to your site on my blog if that is ok with you?! Hope you are surviving finals! Cari

Unknown said...

Gail - Your cookies would just be more interesting than mine!!! I think marachino cherries just turn me off...fresh black cherries, however, OH MY GOODNESS...SO GOOD!

Peabody - I was planning on posting the soup I made last night but had to change! When I first saw fruit cookies I was expecting something like fruit cake...not so!

Emma - They are SO good and I like the cranberries too. All healthy. Let me know how it goes.

Cari - I had to laugh because before I read your comment I though some guy named Vincent had left a comment! :-) Go ahead and link. I hope y'all like the cobbler, it is one of our favorites.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yummy, these look good! And I LOVE dried cherries, I eat them in everything, so I'd have to add more :)

I've seen dried blueberries at Sam's, Walmart and Target, so they don't seem too hard to find around here :)

Unknown said...

Stacy - You and Gail with your cherries! Eat them up for me! I have seen the blueberries at Sam's but have bought them at Target. I may have to get some at Sam's when I'm in TN.