Thursday, October 10, 2013

Earthquake Cake

One day David was playing on facebook and said "I think we should try this!"  It was a chocolate cake called "Earthquake Cake."  I told him to share it with me...and he did.  It looked pretty good but I figured it was a "david" cake since it was chocolate.  Well, I decided to make it for him when he came back from Ann Arbor for board review.  Turns out, it was really good. 
I think the cream cheese part helped make it something that I liked.  David thought the coconut was a bit much...and I think I agree.  It just needed a little less...and maybe pecans instead of walnuts?  I served David's with ice cream...and left over tres leches "milk" on mine.  :-) 
David would definitely enjoy this one being a repeat.

Earthquake Cake from Duncan Hines via Facebook
Ingredients:
1 box Duncan Hines German Chocolate Cake Mix
•3 eggs
•1 1/3 c. water
•1/2 c. oil
•1 c. coconut
•1/2 c. chopped walnuts
•8 oz. softened cream cheese
•1 stick softened butter
•2 c. powdered sugar
•1 tsp. vanilla
•1 pkg. chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 9’x13’ pan with cooking spray. In the bottom of pan, put the coconut and nuts.

Mix cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter over the nuts and coconut.

In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until fluffy. Spread over the batter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool.

No comments: