Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Secret not SO Secret

Have you ever seen those recipes that say something about a "secret ingredient" or "you won't believe what ingredient makes these cookies the best?"  Yes?  I have too.  And guess what!  Most of the time, that secret ingredient is pudding.  I don't know...that doesn't seem so secret to me; especially when the secret ingredient is always pudding.  (Ok, so not ALWAYS...but most of the time.)  I actually made my own pudding cookies many years ago, but that's not the recipe I'll share today.  Today's recipe comes from a new site for me, I heart naptime.  K and I made these a few Sundays ago...we seem to be developing a Sunday afternoon baking ritual after she's taken a nap and I get home from boot camp while Daddy keeps napping.  Fun girl time.  And I do love baking with this beautiful sweetie! 
I ended up not having any vanilla pudding so we used butterscotch.  I don't think David even knew it was butterscotch.  One of the things I liked about this recipe was that it wasn't ALL chocolate chips.  A definitely enjoy a good sugar cookie more than a chocolate chip cookie but if you throw in some white chocolate chips in place of some of the chocolate chips I like it better.  David enjoyed these, too.  I guess some chocolate is better than none!  Now, don't get me wrong, the pudding really does make the cookies SO much better.  The texture is soft but not cakey and the flavor is enhanced greatly.  I just don't think it's so much of a secret anymore.  So join us bakers in using pudding in your cookies and enjoy! 

Double Chocolate Pudding Cookies from I Heart Naptime
 1 cup margarine (or butter) softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3.4 oz pkg sugar free instant butterscotch pudding mix
2 eggs (at room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir in pudding mix (dry) and vanilla. Beat in one egg at a time. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Then slowly stir into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon cookie dough onto the baking sheet/stone. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy! 

No comments: