Sunday, December 02, 2012

Cheddar Mac and Cheese

D loves macaroni and cheese.  He just cooks macaroni and melts Kraft cheese slices into it and adds milk.  I am not a huge fan...but I wanted to make something he'd like for Thanksgiving.  So, I went in search of a creamy mac and cheese recipe.  All the recipes I found for "creamy" versions had Velveeta or condensed cheese soup in them.  I didn't want to use processed cheese this time, so I kept looking. 
What I found wasn't a creamy version but looked good and easy.  It was done quickly and was really good.  I used sharp cheddar, so it had a really cheesy taste...definitely how I prefer mac and cheese!  The first day, D thought it was okay and wasn't a fan of the onions (something that could totally be removed if you have someone who doesn't like them).  The next time he said he didn't really notice the onions.  And by the time it was gone, he said it was good.  Guess I could keep looking or make it again.  :-)

Baked Macacroni and Cheese from Alton Brown (I doubled the recipe below for a crowd of 27)
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced (could be omitted)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Boil a large pot of water, then salt and place the pasta in the water.  Cook until al dente.  While the past cooks, melt the butter in a separate pot.  Whisk in the flour and mustard.  Keep moving for 5 minutes (Mine was VERY thick almost immediately, so I didn't go for five minutes).  Get all the lumps out.  Stir in the milk, onions, and paprika.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Crack the egg into a small bowl and pour a small amount of the milk mixture into that bowl, whisking quickly to temper the egg.  Once tempered, pour the egg into the milk mixture.  Stir in 3/4 of the cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  Fold the macaroni into the cheese mixture and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Place into oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

B Nettles said...

Hmmm. I have 2 "I wonder" s:
1) What would it be like with red onion?

2) What would it be like with buttermilk?

I like mac and cheese to be flavorful.

B Nettles said...

Ooo...I need to change my picture!

B Nettles said...

Hmmm. I have 2 "I wonder" s:
1) What would it be like with red onion?

2) What would it be like with buttermilk?

I like mac and cheese to be flavorful.