Tuesday, November 17, 2009

An Apple a Day

....makes the doctor happy! I always love a good reason to try a new recipe. Sometimes I'll try one and just take it to the lounge, but I really like an even to cook for. This weekend, I got just that! My Sunday School class had lunch together after church. Mrs. V made a yummy brisket with dirty rice and salad. Michelle brought chocolate delight (which we call Joe's surprise...I'll have to make it some time and tell the story...it's a good one). I decided to try Abby's Apple Streusel Cake. It turned out great! Everyone liked it (I think!). :-) M went back for another piece and Mrs. V kept a piece for breakfast (I think it would be a GREAT breakfast!). Abby served her cake without the glaze but when I asked the crowd whether they wanted glaze or no glaze, the IMMEDIATE response was "Glaze!" Okay...glaze it is. I think I have to agree...the glaze was a great addition. I did make a couple of adaptations to make it a bit "healthier" and because of what I had on hand. Three other changes were because I forgot to add an ingredient and didn't completely read the recipe! First off, I forgot to add the melted butter to the apple mixture before I put the first half in. I did add it to the portion used for the topping. Honestly, since you mix the first half in, I don't think it really needs that extra butter. So you really could just add about 1-2 tablespoons melted butter the apples AFTER putting the first half in the batter. The second change I made (because of what I had in my pantry) was to use apple sauce instead of apple juice. Now, my cake was a tad dry. I don't know if it was due to the half and half flour, the apple sauce, or because I cooked it a bit too long. It wasn't overly dry, so I'm not too concerned. Thirdly, I didn't read the part about pouring half the batter in the pan then adding half the apples then topping with batter. SO, after I put all the batter in the pan, I swirled (with generous swirls!) half the apples into the batter...it worked well. This recipe uses surprisingly little butter for a cake recipe (Oh...I did decrease the butter to 6 T instead of 8 T. Another possible reason for slight dryness...though I'm apt to believe that it was more due to slight overbaking than otherwise.). I highly recommend this cake...it's a nice fall cake that I think will please many palates.
Apple Streusel Cake adapted from Creative Cook's Kitchen
Streusel:

1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped apples
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup AP, I cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (I used 6 T)
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup apple juice (I used apple sauce)

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons apple juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease 9- or 10-inch tube pan. To prepare streusel, in a medium bowl combine brown sugar, apples, pecans, flour and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter (I did this after the first addition of the apple mixture to the batter)

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Add vanilla.

3. Set mixer to low; alternately beat flour mixture and apple juice (or sauce) into egg mixture. Spoon half the batter into tube pan. Sprinkle half the streusel over batter. Spoon remaining batter over streusel, carefully spreading it to make an even layer. Swirl batter with a knife to make a marble pattern. (or do as I did and vigorously swirl the apples into the batter after putting all the batter in)

4. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven; sprinkle top with remaining streusel (that now has butter in it). Return cake to the oven; bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (I checked at 20 minutes and cooked for 10 more minutes but probably could have taken it out earlier. Yours may take up to 35 minutes. Watch carefully and don't let it overbake or the cake will be dry.) Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

5. Combine powdered sugar and apple juice. Mix well. Turn cake onto a serving plate; invert so streusel is on top. I did this by transferring it to a plate and then flipping onto the dish I was serving from. Drizzle glaze over cake and serve.

6 comments:

sarah (SHU) said...

ha, i would have been one of the people saying "glaze!!!!" too! i love glaze :) my mom used to make a lemon poppyseed cake with a lemon glaze = HEAVEN. i prefer a nice hard confectioner's sugar/juice glaze to fluffy frosting any day!

(although i do love whipped cream too)

The JR said...

Great looking cake. Yes, I'll take glass too.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Looks delicious! I love apple desserts of all kinds, so I'll have to try this one sometime.

Abby said...

The original recipe called for orange juice, but I changed it to apple for more purity ;)

It IS easy to overbake coffeecakes, but I think they're somewhat dry by design - you know, so that they pair well with coffee!

Beautiful cake!

Cate O'Malley said...

I love apples in baked goods - they make everything so moist. The glaze sounds like the perfect addition!