Sunday, September 23, 2007

Quick and Easy

During my surgery rotation I wasn't able to cook much...and not much has changed with my family med rotation! However, I did enjoy a brief respite one week where I cooked almost everyday. This was the first thing I cooked. I had had my eye on it ever since I saw the recipe in the May 2007 Cooking Light...chicken, peppers, onions, and mushrooms...sounds good to me. Although it's not a wow dish, it was very good, as well as easy and quick. I'll probably do it again. I made it after church one Sunday and it did not take long. I did make one major change and one small one. Instead of using "exotic" mushrooms I used baby portabello mushrooms (one bag). The other change was to use sherry instead of wine...I mean, you use what you have!
Chicken, Peppers, Onions, and Mushrooms with Marsala Wine
adapted from Cooking Light May 2007
Cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 cup thinly vertically sliced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8-ounce) package presliced exotic mushroom blend (such as shiitake, cremini, and oyster)
3 tablespoons Marsala wine (sherry)
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken breast tenders to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until the chicken is done.
Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool. At this point I also opted to cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Next time I might leave them as strips, we'll see. Add sliced onion and sliced bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion starts to brown. Add olive oil, salt, black pepper, and presliced exotic mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and onion starts to caramelize. Add Marsala wine and chicken to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)

No comments: