Monday, January 01, 2007

I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man

One of my friends has an annual Christmas party. I decided that instead of taking something sweet, I'd take something savory. I decided to try Sweetnick's mom's spinach cheese squares. These were SO good! I didn't go home with any and could have taken more. I decided to change the cheese a bit (like Cate did this year) and used some swiss. This was a fast and easy recipe with lots of antioxidants. SO, I'm submitting it for ARF day at Sweetnicks. I hope Cate doesn't mind someone submitting one of her own recipes! :-)

Spinach Cheese Bites
2 tablespoons butter (I admit, I didn't use this; my stoneware provided enough crisp)
3 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese (I used half cheddar and half swiss, 1 cup of each - is that 1 pound?)
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (I used one 16 oz bag)
1 tablespoon minced onion
Preheat oven to 350F. Place butter or margarine in a 9x13 inch baking dish and melt butter in oven. Remove when melted, approximately 3 minutes. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Mix in flour, milk and baking powder. When the dough is well combined, mix in cheese, spinach, and onion. Spoon mixture into the baking dish with melted butter. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool 45 minutes then cut into bite-size squares.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great appetizer. I'm hoping to make these this Thursday for a friend who's visiting. :) (i'll try to forget that it has cheese! ;) )

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Is this the same recipe that some people call Spinach Brownies? I would love these. My late aunt used to make a spinach/rice/cheese dish that I LOVED. I have the recipe but I know I'll end up eating the entire pan myself if I make it.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, these look good Claire! I would love to try these, but not sure when I could make them. I'd like to say for our Super Bowl party but with the people I expect to attend, I doubt any of them will eat spinach anything :) I bet they're delicious though!

gail@more than a song said...

A good way to eat spinach I bet! These do look good.
But Stacy, with cheese in it most anyone would eat them, just re-name them!

Vanessa said...

Hello - just found you via sweetnicks. Love the recipe and I'm very fond of your blog title. I also happen to agree that food is (the best) medicine. what else so profoundly effects your body everyday?

Unknown said...

VC - It is a great appetizer...I want to make it again! Hope you like it.

Paula - I have no clue! :-) it's really good, make it some time when you're having people over.

Stacy - Like I said, try them. They have so much cheese, the spinach isnt an issue!

Gail - That's right! Although I usually get my spinach through salads!

Vanessa - So glad that you dropped by! Cooking is definitely one of my releases. Sometimes I just HAVE to cook something...my medicine.