Saturday, January 06, 2007

A feeling From the Tropics

This winter hasn't really been much of a winter, even for MS. New York is getting a taste of what MS winter is like. I guess we're getting south Texas. Maybe that makes this recipe approriate...chewy coconut cookies. I decided a few months ago that I like coconut in baked goods, so these cookies were fun for me! These cookies were really good but just a bit too sweet. Next time I make them I might decrease the sugar just a bit. There is no need to use sweetened coconut but if you really like sweet, I think adding some toffee bits would be good, too. For that I would definitely decrease the sugar. I'll play around with that next time!
Chewy Coconut Cookies
All Recipes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just may have to try these with the leftover coconut from Polynesian chicken. Usually, I put it in the freezer and it stays there until I think, "I don't want to use this--it is not fresh! "

Becky said...

I looooooove coconut in just about anything. I'm sure these cookies are great!

Unknown said...

Mama - WooHoo! Mama made a comment! I hope you have enough left over coconut to make these. They're good.

Becky - They are...you should try them. DEFINITELY taste of coconut.