Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Mango Muffin

Have you ever had dried mango?  If you haven't you should try...especially the pieces that are a little thicker...oh, so good!  When I got the mango, I decided that I should try to make a mango muffin.  So, the other day when I got a bit of a baking bug, I decided to go for it. 

These are a little on the healthier side but you can adjust for your tastes.  I've made them twice and the upper end of sugar is just about right but if you like muffins that don't taste sweet at all go for the lower end.  I love a good bran muffin and this one is just that...not too heavy but an obvious bran flavor.  Try them out!  I'm taking some with me tonight to work.  We've had two good nights but I know that a busy one is coming soon, so having something quick to snack on (I made mini muffins) will be good!

Mango Bran Muffins by me
1 egg
1/2-2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup fat free buttermilk
1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup wheat bran
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3-1/2 cup dried mango, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Whisk together egg, sugar, oil and buttermilk.  In another bowl, stir flour, bran, baking powder, cream of tartar, and cinnamon together with your hands.  Slowly stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Stir in mango.  Spray the wells of a mini muffin tin (or regular sized if you prefer).  Scoop batter into wells.  Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes (17-23 minutes for regular sized).  Remove from oven and remove muffins to cooling rack.  Enjoy!

No comments: