Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Done!

I am DONE!!!  Done with my nights for this month of ER, that is.  I still have a full month of nights next month, but for now, I'm glad to be back to the real world. I decided that I kind of like working at night but that it makes me miss the rest of life.  I am very isolated to work and my apartment...pretty much nothing else.  THAT I don't like!  So, though I'd be willing to do a night here and there, I think I'll stick to working during the day time for now.  Guess that's one of my preferences to pay attention to when searching for a job after my chief resident year. 

Per usual, in the midst of all that goes on I am still working through the Southern Living Cookie cookbook.  A couple of months ago, I made these raspberry swirl cookies.  Wasn't really expecting a lot, but I totally enjoyed them.  It combines some great flavors...shortbread cookie, raspberry, and walnuts!  They were also surprisingly easy to make.  Just be patient with waiting for the dough to firm.  So good!

Raspberry Swirl Cookies from Southern Living Incredible Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Beat butter until creamy, gradually add sugar and beat well.  Add egg and vanilla and mix well.  Combine flour, baking powder and gradually add to butter mixture.  Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.  When ready, roll dough into 12 X 9 rectangle.  Combine jam and nuts and spread evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch margin.  Roll dough jelly roll style and pinch edge closed.  Wrap dough and freeze until firm.

Preheat oven to 375.  Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices.  Place on cooking stones or sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.  Cool for 1 minute on baking sheet and then remove to cooling rack.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Hooray for th end of nights this month! The medical field can have you working all sorts of crazy hours!!! These cookies look tasty! Want that cook book!

The JR said...

I already know I wouldn't like working nights.

Lisa said...

Congrats on being a day person again! I so admire you for the hard work you put into healing people, as a doctor :)

That said..I have been looking for a good raspberry butter cookie for a while now. Raspberry and blackberry are my two fav fruits in baking, so I'm loving these swirlies, they look incredble!! Bookmarked!