Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blueberry Banana Bread

Wow!  Sorry I missed my last Eat. Live. Be. post.  I just couldn't post.  I left work late because I had to stay and put a chest tube in one of my patients and then compile some information for research I'm doing.  Then I had call Tuesday night...super busy!  There were FOUR deliveries requiring NICU attendance between 1230 and 4am.  Needless to say, on Wednesday, I crashed.  And now, it is Thursday!  A couple of weeks ago, I had some leftover bananas to use.  I saw this recipe for a while wheat, blueberry banana bread and decided to try it.  Oh, and did I mention that it uses olive oil? 

Little did I realize that this recipe was from Ari, formerly of Baking and Books!  Such fun to find an old favorite in a new place.  :-)  The bread was great.  Not overly sweet but just perfect.  Also a plus was that it COOKED through. I have issues with banana bread in my oven but this one worked.  The only advice I would give is to eat it quickly, share it, or freeze if you can't finish in a few days.  I think the addition of the blueberries makes it get sticky/friendly more quickly than usual.  Thanks for a great recipe, Ari!

Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Bread adapted from Ari at Sweet Happy Life
Makes 1 loaf
Ingredients:
■1/2 cup olive oil, I used about 1/3 cup
■1/2 cup light brown sugar
■1/4 cup granulated white sugar
■1 cup whole wheat flour*
■1/2 cup all-purpose flour
■2 large eggs
■1 teaspoon baking soda
■1 teaspoon salt
■1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 1 large banana)
■1 cup yogurt, I used fat free
■1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
■1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen but fresh is better)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl combine the olive oil, sugars, eggs, bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix until just combined, then fold in the blueberries.  (If you REALLY want to be good, mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl before mixing into the we ingredients.)

Pour the batter into your pan. Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, mine took full time. Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I wish you could help with my delivery!!! The bread sounds awesome! I totally have issues with my bread cooking through, so i appreciate that this one does

Valerie said...

I have bananas ready to use, but I wish I had blueberries.