Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Disappearing Cookies

So far on my medicine rotation I've had some interesting experiences. I've performed a paracentesis, I've seen someone's heart shocked back into rhythm, I've had a patient pass away, and I've prayed with a patient (after he requested that I do that). You say, none of these has to do with cooking...well, here's one more...I had ALL of the cookies I made eaten before the day was over, basically by one guy. Wow! Now, I must admit, these were really good cookies. I got them from the Cookie Bible with minimal changes. The end product is a perfectly textured cookie (soft) with a bit of crunch from the cereal. I don't really like crunchy cookies but this one is a good crunch, not that overcooked, flat crunch. I HIGHLY recommend these cookies and am sure that I'll be making them again. Look out for more on-call treats, as I'm currently making something yummy for my 4th (almost halfway through!) call tomorrow. Crispy Oat Drops from The Cookie Bible
1 stick butter
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mint swirl chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips (the original used baking M&M's)
1 cup rice krispies cereal
1/2 cup coconut (I did NOT toast it this time!)
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream the butter/margarine and sugars. Beat in the egg. Put dry ingredients on top of this mixture and lightly stir together (the dry ingredients...this saves another bowl to clean!). Then blend into the creamed mixture. Add the chips, cereal, coconut, and almonds. Drop onto baking sheets or stones. Bake for 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 4 dozen cookied. Here is a heart that just formed on its own!

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Yummy looking cookies. I have the Cookie Bible on my list!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Gosh, you have been working hard. And still managing to bake too! These cookies do look good.

Emily said...

Ooooh, I like that these have rice krispies in them. They look splendid!

Cate said...

You certainly can't go wrong with a stick of butter - they sound delicious!

Jane said...

These sound so good! I have all the ingredients except for the rice krispies & the mint swirls. I don't think I've seen those in our stores...might have to substitute & use andes mints. I do want to make these!

I think that's wonderful that you prayed with a patient. :) I would love that, as a patient. Knowing that my dr. was a Christian & would pray with me would make a HUGE difference. High fives to you, Claire!