Tuesday, April 03, 2007

What a Catch

I spied this recipe a couple of weeks ago on What Geeks Eat. I decided I would try it out, especially since I had some okra in the freezer that I needed to use. I knew that I would be the only one eating this, since my roomie doesn’t eat catfish but I wish that I had had someone to share it with, as I ended up throwing some away just because I had eaten it for so many days! I really liked the combination of catfish with the “classic” okra and tomatoes flavor. It was satisfying and light at the same time. Since catfish is healthy and tomatoes are antioxidant rich, this is my entry for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday. Check her out later today for many other great recipes.
Simple Fish Gumbo from What Geeks Eat
2 pieces of cod, fresh or frozen, cut into chunks (I used frozen catfish)
1 large onion, diced
1/4 cup of diced ham, bacon, or smoked pork jowl (I omitted)
6 cloves of garlic, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced (I omitted b/c didn’t have any)
1 cup of fresh or frozen bell pepper strips (I used frozen red)
1 cup of fresh or frozen okra
1 large can of roma tomatoes (I used a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes)
8 ounces of chicken stock or water (if needed)
Tabasco Sauce to taste
Worchester Sauce to taste
2 teaspoon Gumbo Filé powder
Take fish from freezer, if using frozen fish. Add to a 4 quart pan on medium heat the pork, celery, onion, and garlic. Allow this to cook until soft. Add the pepper strips, tomatoes and stock or other liquid if needed. Bring the heat back up and then add the Tabasco and Worchester sauces to taste. Check to see if salt is needed. Add the okra and bring back up to heat. Cut the fish into chunks and add it to the pot. Bring it back up to heat. Once the fish is cooked through add the Gumbo Filé and stir well. Serve with some parsley on top.

7 comments:

Cate said...

Can't get more ARF/5-A-Day friendly than that! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't have anyone to share this with but at least you got to enjoy its yumminess on more than one occassion!


Ari (Baking and Books)

Linda said...

Mmmm, I love gumbo. Yours looks great!

Erika W. said...

Yum! That sounds really good- the catfish especially.

Unknown said...

Cate - I try!

Ari - It fed me for a several days but I think I'd rather have someone to share it with!

Linda - Gumbo is one of my favorites.

Erika - It was actually a really good combination.

Anonymous said...

Claire -
Where do you find the time? What a great recipe!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I've read a bit about catfish lately, and thought I might make some for my husband. Thanks for the great recipe and inspiration!