Saturday, February 17, 2007

Almond Day

Yesterday was National Almond Day, so I decided to make some cookies in honor of this. I had seen a recipe for peanut butter chip cookies by Peabody. It called for pecans but I changed it to almonds. Even though it used butter, these cookies came out great. They have crunch to them but don't fall apart and aren't hard. They are really kind of like a sandie. I definitely recommend them!
Peabody's Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup cake flour
1 3/4 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 oz. peanut butter chips (I used 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used toasted almonds, chopped)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream together butter and sugars for about 3 minutes. add eggs separately. Mix dry ingredients together. Add slowly to creamed mixture. Stir in chips and nuts. Place on baking stone or sheet by tablespoon. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!

6 comments:

Peabody said...

Butter is your friend! I'm glad you liked them.

Cookie Madness said...

They look good and I like that they are crunchy.I wonder how they'd work with European butter.

Unknown said...

Peabody - I did! All of your recipes are great...thanks for sharing them. I think the combinations of flours makes a difference with butter...The other cookie I liked (from Anna!) used bread flour. I'm convinced that makes the difference.

Anna - I really liked the sandy-like texture they had. they weren't hard but crunchy in a good way. what is the difference with European butter...higher fat content? That's my guess. Maybe would change the cooking time or temp? You could experiment! :-)

Anonymous said...

Those look so good! I love almonds.

Unknown said...

Kristen - Thanks! I love them, too! They, along with dried cranberries, are a great pick me up between the 4-6 hours of lecture I have everyday!

Annie said...

I love almonds and peanuts. Actually I love mostly all nuts. That's my problem-when they're around I can't stop eating them. Those cookies would be very hard for me to resist!!!