Saturday, October 28, 2006

Three Great Tastes modified



I have been studying for the past week and a little more...I feel like that's all I've done. However, I get itchy to cook when all I do is study...more specifically bake. So, on Thursday when I didn't have a test or class, it was a study day, I took 10 minutes off to make some bar cookies. I had about half a bag of butterscotch morsels and decided that these blondies would be perfect! However, after looking at the recipe, I came to the conclusion that there was too much sugar and butter...thus, the modification.

I think that it came out just fine and will use this form again. The top of the bars are probably not a crispy and pretty as they would be with the original recipe, that's a side effect of the applesauce, but they don't taste like the top looks! AND the inside is just perfect! Feel free to play around with the chip flavors that you use. I've done it as written and with butterscotch instead of peanut butter, as I did here. Both are delicious.

Three Great Tastes Blondies
The original recipe is here, my changes are in red.

2 cups packed light brown sugar (I used 1 1/2 cups...I mean, there are 2 cups of sweet morsels in here, I don't think you need 2 cups of sugar!)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted (I used 1/2 cup melted margarine and about 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (one individual cup pack))
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 1/2 cups AP flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup (of each) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips, and HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips (This time I used chocolate, butterscotch, and white chocolate)

CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE(recipe follows) (I've never used this, too much trouble!) :-)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. (I used a 13X9 pan)
2. Stir together brown sugar and butter in large bowl; beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add flour and salt, beating just until blended; stir in chocolate, peanut butter and white chips. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely; cut into bars. With tines of fork, drizzle CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE randomly over bars.
About 6 dozen bars.

CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE: Place 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds to 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! what a coincidence: I have half a bag of butterscotch chips that I have no idea what to do with. Maybe I'll bring these to a potluck next week. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, those sound and look really good Claire. I bet that using a combination of chips keeps you from getting too much of any one.

Anonymous said...

VC - Those half bags are hard to get rid of...this is perfect for that! Potluck, fun!

Erika - Thanks! I like the combo because I'm just not a huge fan of only chocolate and prefer the other kinds of chips. So, having most of the chips NOT chocolate makes this great.

Lauren said...

Those look so gooey and good. I have a feeling I need to do light baking for a while!

Anonymous said...

Ooh yummy! I have a bunch of butterscotch chips in the freezer I need to use. Love the changes you made to lighten it up :)

Hope you're having a good day Claire!

Anonymous said...

These do look good! I think I have those chips and really like the changes you made. Been in a baking mode here lately too! Maybe the weather/time change has something to do with it.
Hope your weekend visit was good!

Heather said...

again another recipe I will have to try for myself. It is time to go to bed and I am getting hungry looking at your site.