Sunday, June 18, 2006



Meat and Potatoes

Today was Father's Day, as everyone knows. I gave my dad a book called The Physics of Superheroes. I don't think he was expecting it but was really excited about it. If you were wondering, he is a physics professor!

Anyway, his request for lunch was brisket and potatoes. Not really my kind of meal, but, hey, it's his day! Soooo...I researched mashed potatoe recipes (I don't make many potatoes). I found one that was for buttermilk mashed potatoes and one for garlic mashed potatoes. We LOVE garlic, after discovering it while living in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. It is delicious after roasting! Anyway, I combined the two recipes and came up with this delicious mashed potato, and I'm not even a potato person.

Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut in small cubes
6 cloves garlic, peeled
3/4 cup buttermilk
1-2 T butter/margerine
2 t salt
fresh ground black pepper
sprinkle of chives

In a pot, cover the potatoes and garlic with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain. Begin to mash with a potato masher. Add margarine. Mash. Add buttermilk and salt and mash. Add pepper and stir. If you need more buttermilk for the desired consistency, feel free to add it. Put into serving dish, top with chives, and enjoy!

Good compliment to brisket, roasted asparagus, squash, and peaches! This was our Father's Day meal.

1 comment:

Annie said...

These sound delicious...I'll have to try them sometime. I really like your blog, I'll definatley be back.
Come visit Mixed Salad Annie when you get a chance!