Friday, June 08, 2012

Cookie and Cream Bars and New Things at Work

Sorry I've been gone for so long!  I was on nights at the end of last month and then I'm starting to learn about my new job for the next year...pediatric chief resident!  We had our graduation dinner Tuesday night; it was a nice time to just relax and enjoy a nice meal.  Can't believe it's already been three years! 
Anyway, I've been busy learning all the ins and outs, making schedules for everyone, learning a new computer program, doing grand rounds, etc....but, I have several good things to post about! 
A couple of weeks ago, we had yet another baby shower.  I decided to take a bar cookie...with cookies in it!  An oreo cookie bar.  I found it on Picky Palate.  It was really good. 
D was still in Alabama but I took a few to his house and left it there for when he got back.  Everyone liked them, I guess, as there was only one left at the end of the day.  I changed the recipe just a little by using the cookies and cream bite-sized candy instead of Kisses and doubled the recipe.  The change in texture when you bite into the cookies and cream candy is nice.  Try them out for your next cookout!

Double Cookies and Cream Cookie Bars

adapted from Picky Palate

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips
24 Oreo Cookies, broken up
1 bag mini Cookies and Cream candy

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil sprayed with cooking spray.   Place butter and sugars into a large bowl, stir to combine, at least 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mixing to combine. Add dry ingredients, chocolate chips and oreo cookie pieces, stirring to combine. Press 1/3 of the dough into the bottom of prepared baking pan. Top with candy. Top with remaining dough and gently press. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes, cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cate O'Malley said...

They look delicious!