Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Tale of Two Fish

So, what do you serve with mac and cheese?  When I was little....Kraft MC and hot dogs!  Now, this MC and lemon pepper chicken or salmon croquettes...at least so far!  The first time I made this MC, I made lemon pepper catfish.  I really like the lemon pepper flavor.  We used Mrs. Dash lemon pepper.  I could definitely tell that there was real lemon zest in it...such pop!  Just spread the seasoning on the fish and cook for about 12-15 minutes at 400F.  Great meal! 

Last week, I made salmon croquettes and the leftovers went well with the same MC...but with whole wheat egg noodles.  We used to have the croquettes when I was little.  I loved them then and love them now!  You don't have to use a lot of oil to make them have a bit of a fried taste to them.  I like them with ketchup. 

Thought I could persuade Miss K to eat them by putting ketchup on hers, but she just ate the ketchup and not the fish.  Oh, well!  One day she'll decide to eat and will like them, too.  So, take your pick of fish and enjoy a healthy meal.
Salmon Croquettes
1 can salmon (14.5oz)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1.5 tablespoons salmon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Take salmon out of the can and clean off the skin and bones (specifically bought chicken of the sea b/c I thought this was already done...not so, not so!).  In a bowl, mix together the salmon, egg, and flour.  Stir together 1.5 tablespoons juice and baking powder.  Then add this to the salmon mixture.  In a saute pan, heat up 1 teaspoon olive oil.  Form the salmon into 4 patties.  When the oil is heated, place the patties in the oil.  Cook for about 4 minutes on one side or until browned.  Flip to the other side and cook about 4 minutes, or until browned.  Remove and place on paper towel. Serve with YOUR favorite side or some mac and cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments: