Monday, April 11, 2011

Vitamins?

This week on Eat.Live.Be we are supposed to talk about what supplements we use. 

To be honest, I really only take a multivitamin, and sometimes, I'm not that great at it!  I have put my bottle on my nightstand so that hopefully I remember, but it doesn't always happen.  Plus, it's really better if you take your vitamins with a meal because some vitamins are fat soluble and need fat to be absorbed into the body.  All that said, there are some times in your life and people with certain conditions that really NEED to take supplements. 

Babies, especially those who are breast fed, should take a Vitamin D and iron supplement (this is most commonly Poly-Vi-Sol).  I would agree that breastfeeding IS best, but there is very little iron in it and most people, in general, don't get enough vitamin D.  So when babies are growing, they really need that "extra" vitamin D.  Another group of people who should really take vitamins is women who could become pregnant, are pregnant, or are breastfeeeding. 

Folic acid is essential to prevent neural tube defects and prenatal vitamins has this in them.  I think that most women's MVI have it these days but be sure, you may need specifically pre-natal vitamins for other supplementation.  You should have 400-800 mcg of Folic acid if there is no history of defects in your family.  If there is a history of neural tube defects then you should get 4000mcg.  Anyone who has evidence of poor bone strength (osteoporosis, recurrent fractures, kyphosis) should take Vitamin D and Ca.  There is discussion going on currently if Vitamin D should be a recommended supplement for the general population.

(pic from WebMD) However, if you get 20 minutes of sun a WEEK if you're fair skinned and an hour a WEEK if you're dark skinned, then you should be fine; NOTE: babies only need about 10 minutes a week to get the same effect...please protect that sensitive skin!  Finally, there are groups of people who need extra supplements based on medical conditions.  People with sickle cell need Folic acid, many renal diseases need special supplements depending on their renal function and would be told what to take by their physician, and people with cystic fibrosis have to take supplements of the fat soluble vitamins because their pancreas doesn't produce the enzymes necessary to absorb fats as well (this supplement is called ADEK, the 4 fat soluble vitamins).  Okay, that got REALLY long...much longer than I expected.  All that to say, if you are eating a well balanced diet and getting a little bit of sunshine, you don't necessarily NEED supplements unless specifically instructed by your doctor or you fit into one of the above categories.  However, taking a simple multivitamin daily won't hurt you! 

Now for another cookie!  How's that for a supplement.  :-) 

I'm not the biggest fan of almond extract.  In fact, I can honestly say that I don't like it.  I can taste a dessert and immediately know that it has almond extract.  Ick!  However, I really like almonds themselves.  These bars are FULL of almonds.  I didn't even use quite the full amount and there was not a square centimeter without almonds.  A delicious bar cookie though I think I might would decrease the amount of almonds a little more.

White Chocolate Almond Blondie from Southern Living Incredible Cookies
2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup butter/margarine
1 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (I used vanilla latte...it was on clearance)
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup white chocolate chips/chunks

Preheat oven to 350.  Melt butter in pan.  Add coffee and stir until dissolved.  Remove from heat and cool.  Add brown sugar and eggs, stirring well.  Add dry ingredients.  Add in the almonds and chocolate.

 Spread in a 13X9 pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your white chocolate almond bar looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try it out! I loved your insight on vitamins, too. I'm in medical school at UofL, and I love that you make time to practice medicine, cook, and then blog about it!

The JR said...

Those sound good.

I only take niacin because of my triglycerides, vit c when I feel bad and lysine when I feel a cold sore....

Chels/Catz in the Kitchen said...

Looks amazing! I just made another version of Blondies last night and now I'm hooked.

Joanne said...

I love how informative this post is! I actually don't take any multivitamins or anything other than Calcium (history of stress fracture and being underweight) but I think I eat enough fruits and veggies that I make up for it!

I love almond flavor any way I can get it and these bars sound amazing!

Sarah Caron said...

Great info, thanks! I take a multivitamin when I remember, but that's it.

Those bars look great.