Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Melting Molasses

I think that certain times of year lend themselves to specific flavors.  One of the best flavors for a cookie during fall/winter is molasses.  I do have a recipe that is very good, though I haven't posted it yet.  However, when I saw these cookies on Peabody's site, I KNEW that I had to make them.

 I made them one Saturday before my Sunday School class went to a cabin our teachers have.  It was the perfect dessert on a cold, winter day.  One of my favorite things about molasses cookies is how they just melt in your mouth and the flavor just oozes out.  Add white chocolate chips to the top...and Oh my!!!  Please, try them for yourself!

White Chocolate Molasses Cookies
3 cups flour

2 tsp. Ginger, Ground
1 tsp. Cinnamon, Ground
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 cup white chocolate chips

Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.  Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap (or cover bowl with plastic wrap...that's what I did!). Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown.

Immediately press about 5-6 white chocolate chips into center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Peabody said...

Glad you liked them! I thought they were yummy.

The JR said...

I like white chocolate and I like molasses. Could be I would really like these.

Jess said...

I adore the first picture! I just wanted to take a bite out of it!!
Jess : )
www.livininthekitchen.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Peabody - They were the perfect texture!

JR - Go for it...you have a list of cookies now!

Jess - :-) You can try if you want but I think that the computer screen might get in your way.