Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Twins?

Around my church, there is a certain cookie that is famous...a cookie that is immediately GONE when the plate is put on the table.  This cookie is the sharpei cookie.  I shared it with you on my first blogiversary.  Well, a few weeks ago, I saw a recipe on Anna's site that looked a lot like the cookies. 

So, I decided that I had to try them.  I have been having issues (as has my mom...with a different oven and in a slightly different part of the country) with the recipe I shared with you earlier, so I wanted to see if the small differences in the two recipes brough success.  The outcome...these were VERY good cookies.  However, I did think that they were better with the butterscotch chip than with the chocolate chips...though I'm not sure my co-workers thought the same, the chocolate chip cookies were GONE while there were a couple butterscotch left!  These didn't have quite the same taste in the dough as the sharpei cookies, which is likely due to less butter and brown sugar, but were still delicious!  Another highly recommended cookie! 

Crinkly Butterscotch Pecan Cookies
1 3/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour, spoon, sweep, level (don’t scoop and pack)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 oz unsalted butter, cold, cut-up
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups butterscotch chips
2/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (I omitted these)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Beat the cold butter and shortening with an electric mixer until creamy. Add both sugars and continue beating for another two minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and beat for about 30 seconds or until egg is incorporated. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture—dough will be pretty thick. Mix in the butterscotch chips and pecans, if using. Chill the batter for ½ hour or until ready to bake.

Scoop dough by generously rounded tablespoons and shape into large balls. Space about 3 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are brown around the edges. They won’t be extremely brown when they come out of the oven, but if the edges are browned at all they’ve probably baked long enough.
With the edge of a spatula, gently nudge cookies into neat circles. Doing this will enhance the wrinkles and folds in the cookies.  You can also use the backs of two spoons to do this.
Let cool on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 28 cookies

5 comments:

The JR said...

Maybe that just filled up on the chocolate chip ones 1st.

I'll have to check out the sharpei cookie recipe.

Peabody said...

Oh my yes, a thousand times yes.

Abby said...

I LOVE butterscotch. I must make these!

Lisa said...

Happy first blogiversary, Claire! These cookies are a great way to celebrate. I've always adored butterscotch in anything, and I love the rugged (sharpei hehe), chewy look of them. Another bookmark!

Jill said...

I love them! Although, I'll leave it to you and Mrs. Joanie to make them!