Saturday, July 11, 2009

Resident Eating...or How it SHOULD Be!

You get pretty worn out on wards with Q4 call. My most recent call was particularly taxing. I didn't get any sleep and almost had two breakdowns...once early morning when the call I received was totally confusing and next at about 6:15 when the elevator I got in just stopped! I walked up when the doors finally opened! Anyway, with such a tiring schedule it's really important to eat well and healthfully. I found this recipe in Eating Well and made it a month or so ago. At first I wasn't sure how chickpeas would be but it turned out great. The vegetable protein is especially healthy as well since it can help reduce cholesterol. I made couscous to serve with it. I think when I make it again I'll probably increase the amount of tomatoes and maybe okra in it. Even if you're unsure, I suggest you at least try it.

Okra and Chickpea Tagine from Eating Well

1 pound fresh or frozen okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
10 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 plum tomatoes, diced, or 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
3/4 teaspoon salt

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add okra and cook for 2 minutes (I cooked for a little longer because my okra was frozen). This is like blanching it, so place in ice water if you like (Eating Well said to do this). Drain.
2. Tie cilantro sprigs together with kitchen string.
3. Heat oil in a tagine dish set over a heat diffuser or a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
4. Add onion, garlic, ginger and pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, 3 to 6 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, broth, cumin, the okra, cilantro sprigs and half the bell pepper. Reduce heat to medium; partially cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and salt; cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; discard the cilantro sprigs. Serve sprinkled with the remaining bell pepper and cilantro leaves, if desired.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 389 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving

4 comments:

B Nettles said...

Let me know whether you need metric or standard. I'll go to Sears and get you a toolkit so those breakdowns can be fixed. You do know how to change a tire in case you have a blowout, don't you?

The JR said...

The tangine looks almost like an okra gumbo. I've never had couscous. One of these days I get the nerve up to try making it.

Ramona

Abby said...

This Tar Heel has only ever had okra fried. And I like it that way, but I do need to branch out.

Cate O'Malley said...

Sounds like a great healthy way to end a taxing day - hoping things get better!