Tuesday, June 16, 2009

April Fools!

Oh wait...it's not April, it's June! Oh, well! Before we start....WARNING: This is NOT a cookie post!! I seem to find that my comments (not that there are that many to start with) drop off when I post a "real food" recipe. Well, I still must do it. In fact, I have some yummy "real food" things coming up, so just get ready! Now, I'm not a big fan of mashed potatoes. Just not what I would choose. I think they taste a little dry to me. I don't know! Anyway...sometimes, though, you just need that little mound of white, soft goodness. So, what to do? Make mashed cauliflower! Yep! It really works. I have seen this in several different places and was a little skeptical about it but decided to try it anyway. SO good! The key to this is pureeing ("mashing") the cauliflower for long enough and seasoning it well. I've made this three times and this last time was the best! I used sea salt and vegetable broth this time. I don't know which made the difference but it was delicious! It even tastes like mashed potatoes...though there is a bit of a different flavor, it's not overwhelmingly cauliflower. Try it sometime! Mashed Cauliflower
1 head of cauliflower, steamed until soft
seasonings: I used sea salt
broth (I used vegetable...you could use cream if you wanted to)

When the cauliflower is steamed, place it in a food processor. Turn the processor on. When the cauliflower "gets stuck," open the food processor and move the pieces around so that the blades can reach the big pieces. Once it starts to appear "mashed" add the seasonings and start adding the broth (or liquid of your choice). Keep adding until it reaches the desired consistency. You may have to open and reposition the cauliflower several times. Serve alongside anything you'd serve with mashed potatoes. You can even top with cheese. Mmmm!

9 comments:

Katrina said...

I've seen this and known about it, but haven't tried it yet. You've convinced me.

Jane said...

I have made this dish before as well. I used a little sour cream and margarine just like I do mashed potatoes. Ranch dressing also gives it a unique flavor!

Emily said...

I LOVE cauliflower! This looks so good.

Pearl said...

mashed cauliflower sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Pureed cauliflower is fabulous -- we ate it when we were low-carbing (now we just avoid processed carbs & I don't miss mashed potatoes at all!)

It's VERY GOOD on top of "shepherds pie"

And BTW, I like your "real food" posts :)

The JR said...

I've made mashed cauliflower before when I was on the low carb diet. They are pretty good and at least give you the feeling of eating mashed potatoes.

I like sea salt. It has a better taste to me that table salt.

Ramona

Deborah said...

I've heard this is tasty but I've never tried it. I need to now!

Unknown said...

Katrina - It took me a while to try it but I love it. It does taste of cauliflower but I think it's totally yummy! You can even dress it up like mashed potatoes.

Jane - I tried it with ranch, too...albeit fat free ranch which is gross, but it was pretty good.

Emily - Go for it! You'd like it.

Pearl - It is...kind of makes the cauliflower taste a bit milder.

Blossom - Thanks! I have more coming! I bet shepherd's pie would be good with this.

Ramona - It really does have a better taste. More Na or Cl, I don't know! ;-)

Deborah - Do try...it's fun!

Elle said...

What a great way to serve cauliflower! Never thought to process it this way...YUM!