Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna" Casserole

It seems that spaghetti squash is in vogue right now. Over the past week I've seen several posts about the vegetable. I decided to try something a bit different with the squash I had on my counter. You see, my dad's favorite thing to eat is lasagna. I'm not the biggest fan but really enjoy the cheese filling in it. So, I decided to incorporate this into a spaghetti squash lasagna (really casserole). This almost ended in disaster when I dumped the remainder of some spaghetti sauce on top of the squash. Thank goodness I tasted it before I stirred...it was quite "friendly!" My lips puckered! That was quickly scooped off and thrown away. SO, I pulled out a can of Italian style, low salt, diced tomatoes and stirred that into the squash. While the squash was cooking (15 minutes on high in the microwave AFTER piercing the squash liberally), I roasted some vegetables. The veggies I used were eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, and sweet potato. Mmmm! The layers included the squash, then veggies, then cottage cheese mixture. I repeated and topped with mozzarella. It turned out pretty good but could use something else. I'm not sure what. I think next time I'm going to try a chicken spaghetti squash casserole!!! This can be served as a side dish or a main dish in larger portions. There are lots of great vitamins here, antioxidants, and Calcium and protein from the cottage cheese mixture. Because of all the great veggies and the antioxidants in the tomatoes, this is my entry to Cate's ARF Tuesday at Sweetnicks. Check it out. Spaghetti Squash Casserole 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and "stringed" 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes, drained 1 sweet potato, sliced thin and roasted 1 bunch asparagus, snapped and roasted 1 zucchini, cut in moon shape and roasted 1 eggplant, diced and roasted 1 1/2- 2 cups cottage cheese 1/2 cup + grated parmesan cheese 1 T parsley salt pepper mozzarella cheese Preheat oven to 350 degress F.
For cheese mixture:
stir together cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Taste for desired seasoning.
In a bowl stir together the spaghetti squash and tomatoes.
In the bottom of a 11X8 casserole pan put half of the squash mixture. On top of this scatter half of the roasted veggies. Try to evenly space each type. On top of this spread half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top of the casserole with mozzarella cheese. place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

This sounds like such a delicious, healthy meal!

Sarah said...

I love your place settings!

Helene said...

Looks wonderful....We have the same placemats! Good taste!!

Saikat said...

Hi,
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl
contact me at saibose@gmail.com to know more.

thx-Saikat

Big Boys Oven said...

looks very delicious! but only for one?

Annie said...

Great idea. It looks great on the table too!

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to use the spaghetti squash in lasagne flavors. I haven't had spaghetti squash in years -- time to buy one at the store today!