Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Favorite New Lunch

In general, I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches. So often, there is too much bread for my taste. I prefer open faced sandwiches. However, one day while I was studying for my Step 1 exam I found a whole wheat pita pocket bread on sale. I decided to try it out. They were pretty good.

For the past 12 weeks, I've been on my surgery rotation and you really need something quick and easy for lunch, especially if you take your own instead of buying something. I always take my lunch, it's much cheaper! Anyway, I wanted something other than salads and determined that these pita pockets would provide a perfect option...but what to put inside? Let's see...pita...hummus! What else is mediterranean?...Feta cheese...red bell pepper. I had a lunch coming together. My favorite way to put this sandwich together is to spread the inside of the pita with some sort of hummus. Then line/stuff the bottom of the pita with spinach. On top of that place some roasted veggies (see below). Top with turkey and feta cheese. Enjoy this sandwich with some fresh fruit and you have a nice, healthy lunch. With the roasted veggies, this is full of antioxidants. So, this is my entry for Sweetnick's ARF-Tuesday. Check her site for more great recipes.

Roasted Veggies
Your choice of fresh vegetables: onion, bell pepper (I like red), eggplant, squash, zucchini
garlic powder
season salt
olive oil Cut veggies in thin slices. Preheat oven to 425. Place veggies in a roasting pan. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Toss with your hands. Sprinkle garlic powder over veggies and toss with your hands. Sprinkle season salt over veggies and toss with you hands. Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Enjoy as a side for dinner or in a pita for lunch.

8 comments:

Janet said...

That's a great looking Sammich! Myself, I am a sandwich freak. My problem is that I love them best with gobs of full fat mayo, meat and cheese and lettuce and tomatoes... and did I say mayo? So I have to ration myself...

Lisa K said...

I love the tasted of roasted vegetables but haven't tried them in a pita yet. Thanks!

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on sandwiches -- too much bread most of the time. Pitas are such a great idea -- I'm not sure why I don't buy them more often. Your sandwich looks great -- and healthy -- a big plus!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea for a sandwich. I love pitas and roasted veggies. Yum!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I am a roasted vegetable addict, but have never thought of putting it on a pita. I'm on my way to the store to stock up on the ingredients I need. Hummus? Still not sold on. ha. Jancd

Unknown said...

Janet - I used to put lots on mayo on my sandwiches. Now I usually just use mustard (or hummus!) but if I'm doing a tomato sandwich mayo is a MUST!

Lisa - Thanks for dropping by. You have a nice blog as well. I think that roasting the veggies make their true flavors magnify...and so much better for you than cooking them with lots of butter.

Alisha - I'm glad to know I'm not alone! The pitas are great...and are even good open-faced, too.

Kristen - Thanks! It's so easy to make, too.

Jancd - Try out the hummus again...I was convinced I didn't like it and then tried it again at a local restaurant and have been sold on it ever since! I think it's great with carrots, too. Hope this turns out to be another something you like.

Anonymous said...

I also take my lunch and lately I've been loving this combo: two slices of toasted whole wheat bread, chunky hummus with spices, hardboiled egg whites from 2 eggs, spinach, and 2 slices of yellow american cheese. It may not sound great but trust me, it's delicious!

:)

Ari (Baking and Books)

gail@more than a song said...

That looks awesome! I love hummus and with the roasted veggies, I bet that's so good.