Monday, July 09, 2007

Corny Goodness

For the fourth of July, I went to a party with my Sunday School class. They provided Bar-B-Q and we were to bring sides and desserts. I took Sharpe cookies with raspberry and chocolate swirl pieces and a yummy summer corn salad. I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe, but it's one of those that is PERFECT for a hot summer day. It is a cold shoepeg (IMPORTANT!) corn salad with green onions and tomato in mayonaise. You can use low fat (what we have in my house) or even fat free mayo; just be aware that, especially if you use fat free, this will get soupy. No worries, just use a slotted spoon to serve and it still tastes great! Because of the corn and tomatoes, this is my entry to Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday. Drop by her site for other great recipes! Shoepeg Corn Salad
2 cans shoepeg corn, drained
3-4 green onions, sliced (the whole onion)
1 tomato, chopped (I used two and think it could even use more if the tomatoes are small)
1 cup mayonaise (I used 1/4 cup fat free and 1/4 cup low fat...this 1/2 cup was PLENTY)
a few turns of the pepper mill
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir gently. Refrigerate and serve.

5 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

I've made this before, and I LOVE it! But had forgotten about it...I'll have to do it sometime this summer.

Peabody said...

Shoepeg corn is not all that available here in Seattle. Can't I cheat :)

Anne Coleman said...

Oh my goodness! That looks awesome! Copying it down now...

Charise said...

I make a similar salad only with the addition of black beans and lime and no mayo. It is an awesome summertime salad!

Unknown said...

Gail - It's a good summer one...perfect to cool you off.

Peabody - Well.....I guess since you can't get shoepeg, a cheat would be allowable! It's a good salad, so do what you have to!

Anne - I hope you like it!

Charise - That sounds WONDERFUL! I'll have to try that sometime.