Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tiger Food???

You'd think I was an LSU Tiger fan if you looked at the colors in my dinner last night...I had eggplant parmesan over spaghetti squash...colors? Purple and gold! To tell the truth, I have nothing against the Tigers and, being a fan of the SEC, am glad they won the national championship; however, I am NOT trying to support them in my food color choices. Needless to say, last night I tried something "new." I've had spaghetti squash before and thought I didn't like it. However, I decided that I should try again. On top of this spaghetti squash, since I haven't had it in FOREVER, I have baked eggplant parmesan. Well, this turned out GREAT! Guess what...I do like spaghetti squash. If you want to learn more about it, click on the link...it has options on how to cook it, how to purchase it, and even more recipe options! The baking instructions I used were from The Joy of Cooking. As to the eggplant parmesan...I've made this before but have found an even easier way to do it. You don't even have to pre-cook the eggplant. Just spap it all in a baking dish and bake away. Yum! With all of the vitamins, beta-carotene, and surely ARF's, this is my entry for Cate's ARF Tuesday over at Sweetnicks. Last week there were lots of great recipes and several newcomers. Drop in and see what everyone else is cooking up.
Microwaving Spaghetti Squash
Take your squash and pierce it generously with a knife. Place in a microwave and cook on high for 15 minutes. Let the squash sit in the microwave for 10 minutes before removing and cutting in half lengthwise. Using a knife, scrape the spaghetti-like strands from the squash. Eggplant Parmesan
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch discs
jarred spaghetti/marinara sauce
garlic powder
Nature's seasoning
parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
leftover chicken (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a oval baking dish (or 11X8 casserole), place one layer of eggplant. Sprinkle with Nature's seasoning, garlic powder, and grated parmesan cheese. Spoon enough spaghetti sauce over the eggplant to cover the vegetable. Continue this in layers until the eggplant is gone. If you have some leftover chicken or want to add chicken, just cut it in chunks and sprinkle through the eggplant layers. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes (or until the eggplant is fork tender). Sprinkle the cheese on top and return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve over prepared spaghetti squash (or spaghetti!).

6 comments:

Peabody said...

I love this dish. I tried to serve it to my non-veggie eating hubby...he would have none of it. :(

Cookie baker Lynn said...

This looks great. Anything with melted cheese and I'm there.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome. I haven't had spaghetti squash in ages either .. maybe tomorrow.

Linda said...

I have not had spaghetti squash in years. I like it with a very spicy tomato sauce. My husband loves Eggplant Parmesean, so I should give this a try.

Anonymous said...

And what is wrong with Tiger Food, hmmm? I'll have to try spaghetti squash again using your link; I've tried it a couple of times before with so-so results. This sounds really good, though!

Unknown said...

Peabody - I think you should break him of that non-veggieness! :-) A girl's gotta have her veggies every now and then!

Lynn - And you know, it doesn't even have to be that much cheese to make it so yummy!

Alisha - I actually bought another one at the grocery store this weekend. Mmmm!

Linda - Hey...if the hubby likes it...!

Jennifer - Nothing atall! I'm actually about to check that link out, too! I got another squash this week.