Monday, January 21, 2008

Christmas roast

Somewhere along the way, I think from my Papa, our family started a tradition of having rib roast for Christmas dinner. Beef is not my favorite meat, but this year the roast was very good and enjoyable! So, for all you steak and potato people out there....I give you rib roast (NOT brisket, as I was quickly corrected by my Dad!). We served this with horseradish sauce, squash casserole, green bean bundles, roasted potatoes, and fruit.

Instructions per Dr. Bill Nettles, aka Doc, aka Daddy, aka brother of THE Tom Nettles:

Total cooking time: 30 minutes per pound.

You want the ribs cut off and retied. Usually that's the way they come if they are in a package, but sometimes the butcher will cut a fresh roast.

Rub the roast with pepper and salt. Place in a roasting pan, ribs down.

Preheat oven to 400F. Cook roast at 400 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 325 cook another 30 minutes. Cover the left and right sides with Al foil (about an inch on each side) to keep the ends from over cooking and cook at 325 for remainder of time as deemed by weight.

Remove from oven and cover with foil until time to slice and serve. (Roast should set out of oven at least 15 minutes before slicing.)

2 comments:

B Nettles said...

That looks so good. I can't wait to try it (again).

Unknown said...

Well, Daddy...apparently the people who read this blog aren't looking for meat recipes. You are my only comment! :-)