Saturday, January 05, 2008

Christmas Sugar Cookies

As several other bloggers, I have a lingering Christmas cookie to post. I always make these for my brother, but I think my parents enjoyed them more with their coffee or tea. Mama liked the snowmen the best because they have M&Ms...I like the stars because they were fun to decorate! Yes, it's just a simple sugar cookie; but a good recipe for those are hard to find. Many are too thin and crispy for me. I like the soft, fluffy kind. This recipe comes from a cookbook my mom received from her friend. I don't remember the name, but will get it and let you know! These turned out great and would be fun to use at Valentine's day. For decorating I just make a simple icing from confectioner's sugar and water. Set up your painter's palette and have fun. Kids love it! Sugar Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Add flour mixture. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick, and cut into shapes. Bake for about 15 minutes. Do not overbake.

5 comments:

Annie said...

I will be posting quite a few lingering cookie recipes. Sugar cookies are the ONE cookie I didn't make this holiday. They are so much work. I had too many cookies to make and give away that I had to make the ones that didn't take as long to decorate.
They are so cute though. It must have be fun!

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

Happy New Year!
I wanted to let you know that you have been matched in the adopt a blogger event. Please visit each others websites and revisit the initial adopt a blogger post as a reminder of the expectations for this event.
Thanks for participating and have fun getting to know each other!
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kristen
Dine and Dish

Your match: http://otherpeoplesfood.blogspot.com


Adopt a blogger post:
http://dineanddish.squarespace.com/dine-and-dish-blog/2007/11/16/adopt-a-food-blogger-a-blogging-event.html

Heather said...

I have all of my cookies left to post. I have been being very lazy about it. Yours look great!

Rachel Rubin said...

Wow, those look like fun. I have NO PATIENCE to make cookies let alone making cookies I have to decorate!

Unknown said...

Annie - Well...cookies are the best to make so why not drag out the posting! I'll be making more at V-tines day!

Kristen - Thanks...I've already done a post about her!

Heather - Get those cookies up...I want to see! :-)

Rachel - They do take patience, which is why I looked for recipe that didn't make 72 cookies! :-)