Friday, January 18, 2008

Pecan Pound Cake

Anyone need a good breakfast cake recipe? Well, this one is pretty good. It is from Baking Bites. I made it for my Sunday School class Christmas brunch. Yes...I actually got to go. You see, third year of medical school we still get a Christmas break...it was my last one. By the time that Sunday came, I was SOOO ready for a break and making this cake was a treat. It turned out to be very much a pound cake, which made me think of my Granny. In fact, it was the first time I used her tube pan! What did I like the best about the cake? That crust on the top of the cake that kind of flakes up and falls off. In fact, I've been known to pick that off and not eat the rest! Pecan Cake
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch nutmeg, freshly grated (I used dried)
5 large eggs, room temperature (I used 4)
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in flour, salt and pecans at low speed until completely incorporated. Mix in vanilla and nutmeg.With the mixer on low, add in the eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated to add the next. Turn mixer up to high speed and beat for 5 minutes.Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.Cool in the pan for about 30 minutes, then slide a knife around the edge to loosen the cake and turn it out onto a wire rack (reinvert so the crunchy top stays on top) to cool completely before slicing.

7 comments:

Peabody said...

Yay! A recipe to help me use up my pecans.

Anonymous said...

Do first and second year med students not get a holiday break? Dude. That's harsh.

Your cake looks delicious! I love pecan anything. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

gail@more than a song said...

I've always loved the top of pound cakes that flake off, and have eaten just the top of it myself a time or 50!

Deborah said...

Oh, I'd be eating that crust off, too! It looks delicious!

Linda said...

I am so far behind in reading blogs. I love pecans and so does everybody in my family, so I think that I will make this cake for the next family gathering.

Unknown said...

Peabody - Oooo...I hope you like! I run out of pecans quickly because someone around here eats them instead of leaving them for my baking.

Ari - Oh...you get a break 1st-3rd year. It's 4th year that there's no break...unless you make December one of your off months, which I planon doing!!! Thanks...I love pecan, too!

Gail - It's the best part isn't it? I do the same thing with muffins!

Deborah - Thanks! The top did end up being good.

Linda - Let me know if you like it. I might even tell you to put more pecans in it.

Jane said...

This sounds great. I have all the ingredients & haven't used my tube pan in ages....I think I must make this!