Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chicken and Asparagus

I know that I've mentioned my Adopt-a-Blogger friend over at Other People's Food, but I don't think I've done a recipe from her yet. Well, this recipe is one I had picked out to try even before we were paired up by Kristen. It's a chicken and asparagus dish. Really yummy looking and very healthy. Last week, I pulled out some chicken from the freezer and got ready to make the dish. I cheated a bit and used canned asparagus. :-) I just love asparagus, especially fresh; but right now it's just too expensive to do that. This is a really easy dish to shrink and make for only a few...just cook less chicken. If you have extra sauce, no biggie! The other changes I made were to use sherry as I don't have wine and to use Australian cheddar instead of Gruyere. The was a delicious dish that I'd love to make again. It made a great salad a couple of days later, too. Because of the healthy asparagus and the chicken, this is my entry to Sweetnick's ARF Tuesday. For the original recipe, click here. I've noted by changes. Chicken & Asparagus with Melted Gruyere
Eating Well Magazine, June 2007
1 can asparagus
2/3 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tsps all-purpose flour
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ,trimmed
¼ Tsp. salt
½ Tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. canola oil
½ C sherry
1/3 C yogurt
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tsps lemon juice
2/3 C shredded Australian cheddar cheese and mozarella cheese
Whisk broth and 2 teaspoons flour in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side (it took me about double the time), adjusting heat as needed to prevent scorching. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add wine and the reserved broth mixture to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in yogurt, tarragon, and lemon juice until combined. Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top of each piece of chicken, cover and continue cooking until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve with asparagus on top or in the sauce. Serve over rice or couscous.

5 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

That looks really good Claire! I might need to file this one away to try sometime. I love asparagus too. I will eat the canned but my husband doesn't like the texture of it. I think it is on sale this week up here for 1.99. It should be more affordable soon, for the next couple of months.

P.S. Don't forget our new grocery opens up here the first week of March. I can't wait!!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

That does look delicious. Eating Well has some good recipes.

Emily said...

Chicken and asparagus DOES sound good, but I'm wondering about that Australian cheese. I bet that's tasty.
My family goes nuts for asparagus. We actually grow it in our garden. Then it's not expensive!

Katie B. said...

Oh Claire! My stat-tracker was broken (And I couldn't see who was linking to me) - I didn't realize I'd been adopted! Yay!! I'm so glad you liked the recipe!

Unknown said...

Stacy - The texture is kind of slimey...but then again, I like boiled okra! Hopefully, fresh will go down soon...today it was like $4.29!!!

Paula - Yeah, they do...I need to keep watching their site.

Emiline - The Australian cheddar is SO good! Wish I could have a garden, but I live in an apartment and there is no land! :-)

Katie - It's okay. I guess I thought Kristen had sent you a message about it. Anyway, I really enjoyed this recipe.