Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ravishing Rice

I've taken to making a weekly menu...it helps me stay sane!  You should see me if I don't have a plan.  David will ask what we're having to eat and I just shuffle around the kitchen, opening cupboards, sighing, groaning, pouting...it's not a pretty picture!  A few weeks ago I made this dish that my mom once made for my brother.  It didn't quite turn out how I wanted but David said it was good, K liked it, so we will keep it on the list.  It is a dish with rice, sausage, peppers, and chicken noodle soup.  I used brown rice, which I think was the downfall.  When I pulled it out of the oven, I could tell the rice wasn't done; so I added more liquid and cooked it for 30 more minutes...still a bit "al dente"...if rice can be that.  We still ate it.  I also used Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles...that part was a success.  Not sure it was ravishing but it was good.

Ravishing Rice
1 pound hot sausage (or one package Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage)
1 very large onion, minced
1 medium bell pepper, minced
2- T chopped fresh parsley
3-4 chopped green onion
5 1/2 cups boiling liquid (1 can chicken broth and water to yield 5 1/2 cups)
2 envelopes dried Lipton chicken noodle soup
1 cup raw rice (If you use brown you have to increase the liquid a good bit and increase the cook time)

Preheat oven to 350. Crumble sausage into pan and cook until about 1/4 of the sausage is crisp brown. Add celery and pepper to saute, then add onions and continue to saute until meat is cooked or onions soft (if using precooked sausage).

In another pan, bring liquid to a boil, add rice plus 2 envelopes soup. Cook 7 minutes covered. DO NOT DRAIN.   Mix all ingredients together into 2 small or 1 large casserole dish. (will be soupy) Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not over cook. May not be brown on top. Enjoy!

No comments: