Friday, August 18, 2006

Donut Muffins



I don't eat muffins much but love cooking them, and my roommate likes them...so I've been looking for different muffins to make. I found some last week that even I would eat and enjoy. This week I decided to make some muffins that Sara from I Like to Cook made with her mother. She described them as muffins that taste like donuts. For some reason, my taste buds were thinking regular yeast donuts. So, when I tasted these I thought, "These don't taste like donuts." Then I realized that they did taste like cake donuts! Although this is not the type muffin I would eat regularly, they are good. I think my roommate approved! If you want to original recipe, check the link to Sara's site. I changed just a couple of things, as I like to have some whole wheat flour in my baked goods.

Donut Muffins
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cups milk

Topping:
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (mix with the sugar)

Preheat to 350 degrees F. In a bowl combine the flours, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl combine the oil, sugar, egg, and milk. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Pour into standard size muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn the muffins out of tins. While still warm, dip the muffin tops in the melted butter and then in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Let cool.

No comments: