Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cleaning out the Freezer Part 2


Sunday was the last day my parents were to have a working refrigerator, at least until they get to the new house! So, I needed to use the 3 frozen bananas that were in the freezer. How could I waste perfectly good bananas? So, I decided to try a new banana cake recipe to take to a Sunday School party.

This cake was easy to make and turned out pretty good. It was a tad spongy but nothing too noticable. However, I think that I'll stick to banana bread/muffins. I have some wheat germ now that I can use in the banana bread (like the recipe calls for that I've been leaving out!).

Stay tuned for the BEST chocolate chip cookies. They'll be coming in a soon-to-be-done post but after the weekend. I'm going to be helping my parents move in, so I probably won't be posting anything. Happy Weekend Cooking! It's MY last weekend before school starts back.

Banana Cake
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 11x7 inch pan.
In large mixing bowl, mix shortening, brown sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and banana until well blended.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the banana mixture; stir until well blended. Stir in chopped nuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven.
While warm, cut into bars and remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and cinnamon. Gently roll warm bars in sugar-cinnamon mixture.

Recipe from www.allrecipes.com

2 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I love anything with bananas. I really like the sound of the cinnamon-sugar coating on these bars.

Unknown said...

I was really surprised to see the cinnamon-CONFECTIONER'S sugar mixture. It's a neat combination. I like getting bananas but usually don't eat them before they get too ripe for me (once brown appears at all, they're too ripe!). So, I usually end up freezing them and using them for some kind of bread.