Thursday, May 07, 2009

O-reo, reoo-oh!

In my children's choir, we have what we call the bean jar. If you fill the bean jar, you get a party. How do you fill the bean jar? Well, be quiet, listen well, sing well...all that fun stuff. How do you lose beans? Talk to loudly, move too much, annoy the teachers...also fun stuff. For first graders, it is a very good way to help with/control behavior. However, it's really no surprise as to WHEN the parties actually occur. We plan the dates in advance and just put bean in accordingly, so that the bean jar happens to be full on the day of the party (I don't think even Glenda the Good Witch could plan it better than that!). Well, we filled our bean jar a couple of weeks ago and I signed up to bring cookies or cupcakes. Well, I wanted something fun so I went in search of a recipe for oreo cupcakes. I was in an ambitious mood and wanted to make these from scratch. THAT took a while to find. I kept finding these WONDERFUL looking recipes, but they used cake mixes...not that I have an issue with using a cake mix, but I wasn't in the mood. Finally, I found this recipe at Baking Bites. It turned out really good and would have been even better if I hadn't forgotten to set a second timer after I checked the first time! My cupcakes ended up being more like frosted muffins...I still think the kids liked them. At first I was afraid there wouldn't be enough frosting, but there was plenty, even extra. This is an extremely sweet buttercream, unlike the buttercream I dislike that is like eating butter. However, when I first tasted it I could just FEEL my teeth rotting! It was just bitingly sweet...but SO good. I would still probably cut down on the sugar just a bit. One of the good things about the icing is that it firms up nicely. I even used the top cookie to pull the cupcake out of the holder and it held. I would definitely recommend these cupcakes...the kids liked them and some of my friends in adult choir did, too!
Oreo Cupcakes
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup milk (skim is fine)
1 1/4 cups crushed oreo cookies (10-12 cookies) - I used reduced fat and it worked fine.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with baking cups.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract, then beat in the egg whites one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Working in 4 or 5 additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the milk to the sugar mixture. Keep the mixer on low speed while you do this. When just combined, stir in the crushed oreos. Spoon batter evenly into muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350F, until a toothpick comes out clean (a few chocolate cookie crumbs are fine, but not batter).

Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Store in an airtight container if not serving the same day.
Makes 24 cupcakes

Quick Vanilla Buttercream Fr
osting
1 stick butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat, with an electric mixer, until frosting is creamy, 3-5 minutes.

Frost cupcakes with frosting using a butter knife or offset spatula. Add as much or as little frosting as desired. If making oreo cupcakes, garnish with additional chunks of Oreo.

8 comments:

Pearl said...

awww! what a cute title!

La Pixie said...

http://justjennrecipes.com/cookies-n-cream-cupcakes/2008/06/01/

here is another good recipe!

Abby said...

What a cute idea! And cute cupcakes! They're a lucky bunch.

Megan said...

I bet these were delicious. I made an Oreo pound cake once and it was terrific. The cookies just seem to melt into the dough. I'll have to remember these! Love the Bean jar!

Elle said...

Scratch baked glorious cupcakes AND cookies! Lucky choir kids!

Katrina said...

Ooooh, awesome idea and those look great!

Cate O'Malley said...

Mmm, I'm a sucker for buttercream frosting (yours looks close, if not identical, to the one I use) and put it on top of a cupcake, and I'm there. And even better, I think I have Oreos in the cabinet, just waiting to jump into a cupcake - yum!

Unknown said...

Pearl - :-) I'm not very good at coming up with clever titles, but I couldn't pass this one up!

La Pixie - Thanks, a good recipe is hard to find. :-)

Abby - It was fun...of course, first graders are oblivious!

Megan - I bet the pound cake was great.

Elle - I have yet to find the perfect cupcake recipe, but they sure are fun to make!

Katrina - I bet your boys would love it!

Cate - I know...as much as I talk about it being so sweet...I just love it. Nicholas would have fun helping with this...he could pound those oreos!