Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Healthy Cookies!

A healthy cookie? Don't we all wish there was one that existed? Sure, there are those cookies that are healthy but they don't really taste like a cookie. They're often tough and just plain bland. Well, I have come across a cookie that I think is as healthy of a delectable cookies you're going to get! Katrina even says it's her FAVORITE cookie! I made it when I was on my ENT (otolaryngology) rotation, and everyone liked it. The resident on that month even guessed the main contents. The scene proceeded like this: The resident walks in the room and immediately spies the bag of cookies on the counter. "Ooo...cookies. Who brought cookies?" I smile and raise my hand. "Mmm...gotta try one. (takes a bite) Mmm...banana?" I nod. "Peanut butter?" I nod. "Those are my favorite. Thanks! This is gonna be my lunch (as he had clinic that morning and went to an unexpected surgery that afternoon)." Now, how can a cookie be healthy you might ask. Well, this cookies DOES have sugar in it....BUT not nearly as much as you would think. The only fat is from the peanut butter. So, no butter, no margarine, no trans fat...just the healthy nut fats. It gets some GREAT moisture from the banana. Additionally, the flour is whole wheat. It does have a bit of a whole wheat taste, but it's not so much that you don't want to eat it...and I think it actually provides a good texture for the cookie. The first time I made these I used Reese's to add a little; the second time I used mini chocolate chips. The Reese's are MUCH better!Banana Peanut Butter Cup Cookies from Picky Palate through Baking and Boys
1/2 cup mashed rip banana (I used 2 small)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 medium egg (1/2 large egg beaten or 2 tablespoons of Egg Beaters - I think I just used a whole egg)
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used crunchy)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (the whole wheat white or pastry flour makes a more tender cookie, or use AP flour but you must use 1 cup)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 regular sized Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped (I used 14 mini cups, chopped)
1/3 cup additional sugar for rolling (I used sugar in the raw...adds great texture)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together in bowl of electric mixer the mashed banana and the sugars. Mix in vanilla, egg and peanut butter to combine.Add the combined flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir just until combined. Fold in the chopped peanut butter cups. Don't over mix. Scoop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls and roll in sugar. Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Using the palm of your hand, gently press down the cookies to about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen cookies.

7 comments:

Cate O'Malley said...

Peanut butter, banana and chocolate ... truly an unbeatable combination - they look delicious!

Unknown said...

Cate - Who's to complain! :-) Thanks.

La Pixie said...

this sound really good. I want to try them. Im a lil intimidated by the number of ingridients, but I think I can overcome that.

Emily said...

Wow! Sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try this recipe. I love cookies. But who doesn't?

Deborah said...

I love a cookie that I don't have to feel too guilty about eating!

B Nettles said...

And it would be even healthier if it exercised regularly. Do cookies play raquetball?

Jude said...

Well if the fat is only from peanut butter then that's all right with me. Nice recipe!